CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Who Cares?


I don't like to get too political on this blog. The intention here is to vent and talk about being a Mom and the challenges and joys I face. But as I was surfing the net today I came across THIS article about the writer's strike and the golden globes. And for some unknown reason I thought to myself, "who cares?"

Who cares if the stars boycott. Who cares if this party that blows millions of dollars each year on food, gowns, suits and hair doesn't go forward this year. Who cares if these insanely rich people get goodie bags filled with freebies others will never see. Who cares if we don't get to watch them walk down that red carpet and blow kisses at the camera, talk about what designer they are wearing and what new projects they are up to.

I've become jaded with Hollywood. I dreamed of being an actress in high school, even in college when I studied theatre. But now it's not about the art (I don't care what you say Denzel, Tom, J.Lo or Reese) it's all about the cash. Writer's know this and want to cash in as well. Long gone are the days of classics such as Elizabeth Taylor and Clarke Gable, John Wayne and Katherine Hepburn.

As as society and a people we have to start looking at causes and issues that are important. It's time for People magazine to do a cover story on Darfur. Genocide is happening. Innocents are dying. It's time to get real. If they can cover something as terrible as the Amish School Tragedy then it's time for them to focus on issues that we can do something about.

Write an article on the celebrities who do some good. I'm not talking about all these fluff articles we see either. I'm talking morbidity. Let Angelina tell you about the stories that have broken her heart. I know Ms. Jolie donates 1/3 of her paycheck to charities. It's why she does movies, to continue to help those in need. Here is a woman who realizes you don't have to have all the money in the world for yourself. She pays her fortune forward and it's rubbed off on Mr. Pitt as well. These two people inspire me.

It's truly sad when someone like myself, a middle class Mom, donates what extra she has each year to at least one charity (it has been St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital and Autism Speaks but I'm thinking of adding the Magic Water Project this year or perhaps something for Darfur, I need to seriously research good causes) . Yet there are those in Hollywood who will buy a $10,000 dress or purse to carry around so they can be in style.

10,000 dollars that could feed and save the lives of so many people.

10,000 dollars that could save the life of an innocent child.


0 comments: