CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Resistance

So this week, Arwen returned to the private school. The first day was AWESOME. The teacher and I corresponded, Arwen came home on green, all was right with the world.

Then today...Arwen has two fish gone. And it's not for the normal minor infractions. Nope. My daughter, Hit another child (I do not yet know the context but plan on finding out) and she was 'disobedient'.

*GRRRR!!*

So now I'm left to take yet another angle on how to work with my child. I was recently given some help books on strong willed children. Tonight I plan on sitting down and absorbing as much information as I can. Let me state for the record right now. I do not believe Arwen suffers from anything such as ADD or ODD or any of those letter disorders. She is just a kid and instead of being a quiet one, she's more outspoken.

This is slowly beginning to wear me down. I'm at a total loss here. Arwen is a good child but I'd be lying if I said she isn't hard. She's very hard. She wants things her way, she doesn't listen and has a very short attention span. Just the other day I asked her repeatedly to tell me what she wanted as her snack this week for school. After the 3rd time asking, I took her face into my hands and forced her to look at me. She seemed to struggle with the answer, stuttering and pausing before she chose raisins.

Maybe Arwen is still immature in ways. She is only 6 years old. I remember as a child I was terrible with attention span. I often got reprimanded for day dreaming in class. Maybe she suffers from the same thing but instead of my shy nature she is more outspoken and therefore it's more readily apparent (as she is social with other children in her boredom).

My husband called on his cell after school and put her on the phone. She told me she only hit someone after after another child did. While she claims they were all laughing, she still knows better. I'm beginning to wonder if she was goaded into it (she claims the same thing with the rock, someone else threw one at her first).

Say a prayer for my sanity and please don't think my daughter is a devil child. She isn't. She's struggling because I'm failing her. I can't get a lock onto what the problem is so I can help her deal with it. I am on a mission now to find out what's going on. But my mission is complex and I'll tell you why.

I've known a kid much like Arwen and the option his parents chose for him was medications. His counselors and such decided he had all those letter disorders I spoke of above. But despite the medications he is more trouble than ever. I've heard this story over and over. And I'm standing firm in my resolve NOT to place my children on any medications for behavior. I think too many children in society are being drugged up and I refuse to become one of those parents.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are NOT failing Arwen, Jaime! Don't ever think that. You are doing what you know. Julia too is a strong willed child and I have many friends that say "try this" or "try that". Easy for them to say when their child always sits quietly in a corner. She is only 6 and I know you are doing everything you can. Hang in there sweetie! I'm here for you if you ever need me! **hug**