CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Breastfeeding v/s Doctors Advice


I'm in a pickle. I knew I would be after reading about treatments for H. Pylori. I did my normal breastfeeding research, finding each medication that I could safely take for treatment. But there is a problem.

For certain treatment of H. Pylori doctors prefer to give the "Triple" treatment. Two antibiotics and one PPI. In my case, I can have one antibiotic and one PPI, this doesn't fly with my family doctor.

Since I've given birth he has pressured me to stop nursing the baby. Each time he sees me he comments or asks (irregardless to the fact I've answered him each time before), "how long are you nursing this baby for? babies only need to nurse for 6 weeks to get the benefit from Mother's milk." And each time I face him and let him know I'll nurse for as long as Annabel wishes but otherwise at least a year (as I've done with all of my children). He shakes his head at me. It's gotten rather old.

He's had the office contact me. He has advised them that when I come in for treatment, if I don't follow his complete advice totally, I have to sign a waiver that I didn't. So I'll be heading in this week to start a one antibiotic regimen with Prilosec. I'm also thinking of getting my hands on some Mastic gum (if it's nursing safe, going to research this morning) for the symptoms.

I'm very seriously contemplating finding another Doctor at this point and it's really sad. He's a good doctor generally. Especially for common things like colds, the flu or other less severe illness. But his stance on breastfeeding really turns me off and makes me uncomfortable. I want a physician that will work with me, not against me. What I find most surprising is any doctor would suggest a Mother stop nursing because of his personal views on nursing (his wife only nursed their daughters for 6 weeks so that is the magic number I suppose).

I just hope this works. Otherwise, if this pain and nausea persists, I may have no other choice but to wean and place Annabel on the bottle. It will be a very stressful thing to do for both of us. She doesn't like the bottle (even with expressed milk inside) and we each enjoy the closeness during her feedings. She is my last baby, I just wish I could enjoy this time together before it's gone. Then to add more complexity, Annabel has ezcema. I worry about the severity if introduced to any milk other than my own.


Oh and by the way, the picture above is the one that caused THIS huge controversy.


2 comments:

Erin said...

I can't believe him! That is ridiculous! I think I would be finding a different doctor if I were you.

Lawfrog said...

Find another doctor ASAP! You need someone who will support your decisions or at least not question you and make you feel badly about what you want to do.