CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Am I mental??

Today as I stood outside, holding Annable in my arms, I waited patiently for the bus to arrive with Logan. We paced around together and I was pretty absorbed in her so I missed the lady walking her dog by our home initially. Then the bus arrived and I chatted briefly with the driver and her assistant and as they drove off the lady walking her dog smiled at me.

"Hello," I said and smiled back, ready to walk into our home.

"Hi, I'm B, I live just down the street." She points to the end of our road.

"Oh, well hello, I'm Jaime, it's nice to meet you."

We lapsed into a easy conversation. Only hesitating with that uncomfortable feeling one gets when talking to someone new here and there. Her husband has retired from the military (she doesn't look old however, perhaps in her 40's at the most) and they move here. Her 22 house in 26 years of marriage she told me.

She asked how many children I have and I told her. She said her children were in college. I knew she was curious about Logan. The "short bus" he rides on is a dead giveaway so I told her he was autistic. She asked briefly about my other children and my phone rang inside. As I walked away we waved and she told me if I ever needed anything to please drop by, I said the same and that was that.

But a strange thing happened to me as I walked inside. I began to worry about my conversation. Should I have been so at ease with a complete stranger about my children? I didn't offer her too much information. I greeted her and told her who I was and my son. But I never told her the names of my other children.

I never expected to be one of those people that think the worst of someone before they even get to know them. Maybe I'm mental or something. I can't help but wonder if what I'm experiencing and thinking is natural. Especially nowadays.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I worry about that kind of stuff too. I talk openly about my daughter sometimes, but then I'll worry later. The other day in the grocery store, a man in line behind me was "talking" to her as she played peekaboo with him (she talks to anyone!) and he asked her name. I hesitated, then said, "Emily," which is the American version of her name. I don't know why, mommy instinct I guess. I didn't want to anger him by refusing to answer... I don't know. Weird situation. My point is, mommies have to worry about that stuff these days!

Who knows, she may end up being a wonderful friend and neighbor!

Erin said...

I worry about this sort of thing too although people aren't really friendly around here. We do have one neighbor that brought her teenage son over a dozen times when we moved in wanting to spend time w/ Hailey and they kept offering to babysit. I always politely turned them down, telling them we just don't need a babysitter. They eventually quit coming over. I'm sure they're great people but in this day and age you just never know unfortunately.

Lawfrog said...

The information you gave her is nothing to be concerned with. You were simply friendly. Frankly, I wish more neighbors would be open and friendly. It's sad that we, as a society, don't have that kind of friendly relationship with our neighbors anymore.

Spook, RN said...

I agree with lawfrog.

It took me months before I was able to establish a positive relationship with my neighbor and her twin daughters.

I'm not disparaging parents for being cautious - parents have a lifelong commitment to their kids.

But like lawfrog said, I'm just sad that society has become what it has.