CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 25, 2008

Daunting



Every time I force myself to sit down and think about all of the tasks we have to finish I get exhausted. There is so much work to be done (on the house) that I don't know where to start.Then when you figure in 'the' question. The one that asks 'how long will you be living here', that begins to make it even more stressful.

I like our home. It's just wasn't built correctly. If it's not the stairs (14 up to the 2nd floor, 14 down to the basement/family room) it's the tiny kitchen, small bedrooms, or tiny laundry area. As it stands we are contemplating what to do to make our kitchen more functional. I'm guessing we'll start eating in the formal dining room soon and might place a bar near the bay windows with some storage space underneath at some point.

Then there is the exterior of the house. We are due to have that resided and I'm not looking forward to it at all. It's bad enough that it will take alot of time and I'll be surrounded by all of these men I don't know. But then when I think about the costs, yikes! Especially with (again) all the stairs. It's going to take alot of siding.

We also want to:

Redecorate the living room, kitchen, one bathroom and our bedroom.

Put wood flooring on the entire middle floor.

Re carpet the children's bedrooms, or the entire top floor if possible.

So it's going to take alot of time and patience and cash. It's very daunting to say the least. I realize it will be worth it, even if we move. Because the price on the house will rise as the upkeep does. I'm just thinking forward. Our goal is to sell this house eventually, move to another larger ranch style home (if possible) with acreage. Then Arwen and I can finally have the one thing we each want most (my childhood dream). A horse in our own backyard.

The picture above is of our home. I felt kind of weird posting pictures of our house, but this picture gives a general idea (it's a colonial style home) and is spooky to boot. I took this one night during a full moon around halloween. I thought it looked neat.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I hear you! I want to sell my house and buy a brand new one!

We only have an 1100 sq. ft 2bed, 1.5 bath townhome, that we didn't really buy as a fixer-upper but it's turning into one!

When we moved in we: scraped all of the popcorn off of the ceilings (I'm so, so, so, so glad we did that!!), repainted everything except the kitchen and bathrooms (ran out of energy, everything was supposed to be re-painted), re-linoleum tiled the kitchen, and put wainscoting and crown molding in Aurora's room.

We still need to: Upstairs: paint the molding and do a few finishes to Aurora's room, replace the closet doors, put up the crown molding and frame the windows in our room, redo the full bathroom (new tub, toilet, vanity, flooring, mirror and paint), re-carpet.
Downstairs: replace carpet with tile or wood, paint, put new baseboard up, re-tile the kitchen, replace all of the cupboards (or maybe paint them), I really want to get new stackable washer and dryer and re-configure the kitchen, fix the hole in the office ceiling from when the tub leaked,and finish the downstairs bathroom.

We also need new siding, but thankfully, I don't have to worry about that as it's the HOA's problem! I just have to save up for new windows when they rip the siding off.

We'll be doing 90% of this ourselves, with assistance from my dad.

Also, once it's all done, it'll probably be time to sell the house and get a bigger one. I wish we'd waited to buy, we probably could get a much bigger place for what we paid for this one two years ago. Although we probably wouldn't qualify for a loan now with the tighter standards!!

Katherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.