CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

School Thoughts

I've been thinking about this all day and when I read the question by Erin decided to make another entry, to deeper explain what is happening.

First, they are asking for parents to donate a meal each week for a prize for this "Bash" they are holding. Basically the winner of this silent auction item will get a free meal once a week (or something) for so long by parents. So they are asking for donations for the meals for this prize. I hope that makes sense.

OK, now for what I've been thinking.

Maybe all of this is just me. Maybe the problem isn't so much with the school. Sure they ask for money constantly (all schools do) but so do other schools (even if they don't use the parents calling one another methods). Maybe this all stems from how my mind works. Let me explain.

I was raised pretty poor. My parents always kept me fed and clothed (and clean!). They worked very hard to make a life for themselves but those first years were rough. I still remember the trailer park I lived in. I remember wanting for material things but never asking my Mother or Father because I didn't want to hurt their feelings. I took pride in how hard they worked just to care for me and my sister.

My parents finally came into their own financial stability when I was in my teens. We lived comfortably in a trailer until Mom and Dad had the money and moved to a house. So all through out high school I was constantly struggling with that image. The one of living in the "park". All of popular kids knew who we were. In fact, this is where I met Jimbo (he lived in similar circumstances).

So as we've climbed that social ladder, a part of me has moved forward as another part of me has firmly stayed behind. And you know what? I'm glad of that. Knowing how it is to live on the other side of the fence works wonders for keeping a strict budget and living within your means.

This plays into the school situation in that a part of me still wishes to be "those" people. The ones I knew in high school who never cared much about money because they had so much of it. The people who send their children to this school have alot of wealth. One of the silent auction items at this bash we won't be attending is a CONDO. I freaking condo. If that tells you anything.

I believe my daughter is very intelligent and I want to give her the best possible start. She is worth that investment. But I've also given money outside of the huge tuition monthly to her class already. $5 dollars here, $10 there. It adds up. And then to be asked for more money on top of it, it just gets to a point where I hate to say no but I honestly can't say yes.

It's sort of like this. I'm sure you've all had the calls from different organizations asking for donations. Yet when you offer $5 dollars they say to you, "I'm sorry, the minimum donation we are requesting is $25 dollars". Why can't they just accept what you have to offer? I've always assumed if someone truly needs money they will jump on anything given. But I've had the phone calls to prove otherwise.

One of the major reasons this is stressing me I suppose is recently we cut our budget back for excess spending (and I mean cut it). We're doing this in an effort to save for something that must be cared for and soon...our home. It sucks but it's how we'll finally get this done. For normal joes like ourselves, that means saving and cutting out extras. But for others (like some parents at this school) $10,000 dollars isn't something they'd have to save for.

Thanks for all your comments. I really appreciate them. I'll continue to think this over and try to come up with the best possible solution.

2 comments:

Spook, RN said...

When I was a kid growing up, I wanted to do med school (when I was 4 years old, an age when most kids wanted to be a "fireman" or "policeman" or "locomotive driver", I wanted to be a "neurosurgeon"). But med school back home costs a fortune and when I graduated high school - my Father told me "I'm sorry. I can't afford it".

I could see the anguish in his eyes - it broke his heart to say that (he STILL feels bad about it). But what can you do? Thems the breaks in life.

9 years after than incident - I'm happy to say I have no regrets.

Yes I felt bad - for an instant. Until I realized that I was lucky enough to have three meals a day, a roof over my head, clothes to wear and a good education. My parents worked like slaves to ensure that.

Seeing kids begging/panhandling and starving on the streets everyday kinda served to reinforce that point.

Nope. I'll never take money or good fortune for granted.


I alone know how valuable my money is - for only I know the blood, sweat and tears endured to acquire it.

Don't let anyone guilt-trip/peer-pressure you out of the priorities in your life, Jamie!

Jaime said...

Hey Spook =)

For some reason I got teary eyed reading your comment. I suppose it's because at some point in our lives we all have dreams we realize may not happen but there are always other things in life that will make you equally happy.

Your comment really helped. I don't feel so bad about it now.