CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 14, 2008

Public School Thoughts

I am seriously fed up with my daughters private school. As in I'm so angry I could blow.

I answered the phone as it rang for the 20th time this morning. I've been anxious about my sister and I've been getting updates every 10-20 minutes but the number on my ID was someone I didn't know. I answered it and it was from a parent from the private school, wanting (wait for it...) more money.

I wanted to chew her ass. I know they have a ton of money to blow through. I realize that many of them have lucrative jobs and can contribute money for everything. But we cannot. We put our necks on the chopping block just to place Arwen into this school.

I tried as nicely as possible to explain that:

We are on a budget.

We have 4 children.

I am a stay at home Mom.

It was a strain financially just to place Arwen in the academy at all and extra money wasn't something we just had on hand.

But this woman wouldn't take no for an answer. She told me it was tax deductible and would greatly "help the parents". She basically wanted us to either, A. Make a Dinner for two parents to share for a night out or B. Purchase a gift certificate to a local restaurant for them to go out to dinner together.

News flash lady, I can't even get out to a nice dinner with my own husband unless it's our anniversary. Why in the hell am I going to give someone else the money to do it instead? If anyone needs that time alone together it's us!

I finally told her to call back. That I'd have to speak to my husband about our finances first. She said she'd call back tonight but I told her I'd be with my sister, so she said she'd call tomorrow. I hope she does because I've already decided, I'll have Jimbo answer. He'll take care of her.

I think we need to place Arwen into a public school next year. I care alot about her education but I can no longer put up with these rich people. It makes me very uncomfortable. And what kills me is you see children in that school who come from struggling families, even more so than ours. You can see it in the tattered uniforms and book bags. Yet they still ask those parents to donate and they usually do since it's, "For the Church".

It burns my ass, I tell you. If they truly want to do something for others, they need to pay attention to those who have the money to donate and those who don't. Then they can call up Mr. and Mrs. Doctor Smith and get their cash. I'm sure she won't miss out on getting a new pair of shoes. But leave Mr. and Mrs. Average Joe alone.

And I really want to see where all this money they collect goes to. I want to see the books. There is no way possible the money goes into our school and classroom. "How do you know that?" you might wonder? The answer is simple. Because all of things in the classroom have come from US parents. The teachers and principal made sure to nickel and dime us before school started for it all.

I have a feeling it's going toward that big shiny church next door. I told Jimbo before I didn't like the idea of a Catholic private school. Sure I want my daughter to have the best education offered in our area but I don't see how teaching her "Holy Mary" and other prayers qualifies as "quality education".

I'm really open here for some sound advice. Would you place your child in public school? What would you do here? If it weren't for the constant asking for money I might not mind so much. The teacher issues will be resolved next year (I hear Mrs. B is very tough but the first grade teachers are awesome) so the only problem will be this.

And better yet. If we do keep her there. How would you deal with these calls? The school is VERY smart. They have parents calling parents. It's much easier to get ugly to a solicitor or to throw away mail but you try blowing off a parent on the other end of the phone.

I'm all ears.

7 comments:

Tania said...

I was fortunate enough to have an "understanding" Catholic school. We were part of the work-study program that they offered to low-income families (there were 4 of us--K-12!) Looking back, I think that I would have done better in a public school because it was bigger, and had more classes available. Catholic school--so tiny and the bare min. of classes, but at least we prayed everyday and were forced to recite the rosary! (love your blog btw)

Katherine said...

We picked a "Christian" school, not a Catholic one because all of the Catholic ones by us either didn't have any way to prove the kids were getting a comparable/superior education to public schools or sounded like yours.

Our school does fund raisers a LOT, but there isn't a ton of pressure to participate in ALL of them. We participate in the ones that work for us, and have never been nagged about it. Beyond the annual carnival where they auction stuff off and do nice raffles, they don't ask for cash, just to participate in some of the fund raisers.

The first fund raiser is those stupid entertainment books. I hate those with a passion! My mom agreed to write a check to the school during each entertainment book period in lieu of buying books ($100). That gives Aurora credit for selling 10 books.

We buy a little of the see's candy when they do that fund raiser for her to give to her friends (less than $20), and that's always in December.

We usually go to the dinners, they have 4 a year, where you eat at Islands or On the Border (casual dining places) and 20-30% of your check goes to the school. We do 3/4 of those.

Then there's funfest, their big auction and carnival. They send out a flyer and ask people to donate whatever they can for the auction or raffle, with a minimum of $50. They get a lot of services donated, like pet washing, taxes, attorney services, etc. We donated a gift certificate to a make-ahead dinner place that was a face value of $50, but I'd paid $25 for. The raffle tickets are like $5 each, not crazy like your school!

Anyway, I'd say to try and look for a non-Catholic private school if that's possible. Or send her to public school and use the money for enrichment activities. There's a lot to be learned from music lessons, science camp, dance classes, and such that can help academically.

BTW, have you read Jenny McCarthy's book? She was talking on a local radio station today and I thought of you.

Jaime said...

Hey Tania ;) Thanks for commenting and Hey Katherine! ;)

I've calmed some but thank you both for the advice. I greatly appreciate it. I think I'll check out the public school in our area and make a decision.

I suppose I'm just a thrifty person and get out of my element around those who can spend 100 dollars at a meal and think nothing of it lol.

Rae said...

My parents sent both my sis and I to Catholic school from K-grade 4. I remember enjoying it greatly, and once I went to public school we were about 1 year ahead in math, and reading/writing was tons better than the public school standard. I remember that they did a lot of fundraising, but also involved the church community...and parents were highly encouraged to help the school, mainly to volunteer their time (instead of soliciting for money--I think it was something like 40 hours a year--) I guess it all boils down to the quality of education you think your child is getting out of this school versus public school...

Erin said...

I guess I'm confused...were they asking you to donate prizes for some sort of fundraiser? Surely they weren't just calling and telling you to give them money to go out to eat? I don't have any experience w/ private schools, other than I went to a math competition at the Catholic school here in town when I was in 5th grade and all the kids were way more advanced than the same grade in our public schools. I work for the public school system and went through it myself...and I think there are good points and bad points. But I'm sure some of the bad points happen in private schools as well.

Jaime said...

Hey Katherine! Forgot to add, I haven't gotten the book yet but I really want to!

Soon!

Spook, RN said...

Let me preface my entire comment by stating:

I am NOT a parent.


But my life is definitely a product of private education. My Father was the essential "bread winner" of our family. My mom worked - at one time 4 part time jobs simultaneously while also raising us kids and her husband ;-). But it was more a creative outlet for her than to make income. Private education cost a fortune - and while they didn't ask for "dinners"... they did pressure/pester my parents about "sponsoring advertisements in the school yearbook" etc.

Since my Father had a job that entailed him (and us) to change locales as frequent as 2-3 years, I've had experience with both public (5th - 7th grade. Junior and Senior High School) and private education (Pre-K to 4th. 8th grade to Sophomore High School).

And can honestly say that my most productive (and challenging) years were spent in a private school.

The private schools I attended were not overtly religious. Yes, each day began with prayer - followed by the Principal's address. But it was rather non-denominational prayer and there was certainly no stigma if you didn't join in.

I certainly had a lot more 'personal' attention from my teachers in private schools versus public. The average class size in the private schools I attended was 25-40 students per teacher. Compared to my Junior/Senior High School at a public institution where we had over 120 students per instructor!

Again, this is just my personal experience.