CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Nail 101


So, I decided to get off my lazy rear and make a Nail 101 post (sorry it took so long Erin!)

First. Nail care doesn't need to be nor have to be expensive. You only truly need a few tools. I'll list them.

1. Nail & Toe Clippers. Yes you need both. ;)

2. Two nail files. One that is medium grit and one that is fine grit. If you prefer you can substitute a glass nail file (I've yet to get one, I want one but still rely on the good old 97 cent wall world ones).

3. Fingernail polish remover. You can choose acetone or non-acetone. I prefer acetone myself as it makes removal easier. (of course, for artificial nails of any sort, acetone will pull them off, non-acetone only for those)

4. Cotton Balls or Cotton Squares. You can find these at Wally world too in the beauty section.

5. Rubbing Alcohol.

6. Cuticle Oil. Now, for this I personally use Burt's Bees Apricot Oil. You can purchase more expensive stuff if you'd like.

7. A decent base coat.

8. A decent fast drying top coat (worth the extra money, I swear).

9. A nail polish color.

10. Q-tips.

11. A nail scrubbing brush.

First things first. Nail filing. After you've made the choice to go round, square or in my case, squoval, it's time to begin. The exact way to file is debated. Some say to file the nail in one direction and one only. I personally go from side to side. Gently file your nail to the desired shape. When you are finished take your file and gently brush the underside of your nail. This will remove any extra nail particles. (I didn't list a nail buffer but you'd use that here if you like)

When this is done, I pull out the cuticle oil. I will liberally apply this all over my hands, focusing on my nail beds. I push each cuticle gently back with my fingertips, using my thumb nails where necessary. I'll do this for at least 5 minutes, like a personal mini massage.

Head to the sink and grab your scrubbing brush. Use any soap you have on hand. (We keep softsoap here) Work up a small lather and begin to gently scrub your nails. Make sure to get under the nail. When you are finished rinse and pat dry.

Now it's time to get down!

First. Pick your polish. Have all of your things ready. The base, top and color coats. The q-tips which should be sitting in a small cup with tips in polish remover and lastly your alcohol.

Get comfortable and soak a cotton ball in the alcohol. Rub this over your nail. This will remove any excess oil and helps polish stick to your nail.

After this has dried, it's time to put on your basecoat. I prefer Seche Vite ridgefiller from Sally's. Apply polish from pinkie to pointer, leaving thumbs bare. I always save thumbs for last. They come in very handy when removing excess polish or correcting boo-boo's. Trust me.

After you've applied one coat, wait 3-5 minutes (if you have purchased a fast dry top coat like Poshe you can proceed immediately on the pinkie you started on) and begin with color. When you open the bottle make sure not to shake it just prior to application. If it needs a shake do this right before you go to wash your hands. Shaking causes air bubbles.

Now, application can be tricky but not if you pay attention. Look at the amount of polish on the brush. Usually it will be slowly running down from the top. This can cause a person to get too much polish on the nail and a mess occurs. Take a minute to dip the brush and become familiar with the formula.

Place the brush on the base of the fingernail, press down and slide upward toward the tip of the nail. Leave a small space between the nail and cuticle that is polish free. This truly is the secret to a non-messy manicure. This is also something that takes time to master, so be patient. It will happen! If you have any messes, use your thumb nails to clean them away as you go. I use the small cup with polish remover, dip my thumb into it and clean away excess. And remember, sometimes it's best to let that little 'goof' alone. You might just make it worse. Use Q-tips to wipe away excess not near the fingernail surface.

After you've painted both hands, start over again. Place a second coat of color on the finger you started with. Match the brush along the initial line you used before as a guide. Continue to use your thumbs to help you with any mistakes.

After this is done, take a deep breath. Look over your handy work if you want but try to stay as still as possible. I do my nails while watching TV or reading blogs, etc to keep me occupied. I can't tell you how many times I ruined a fresh coat of paint grabbing something.

After 3-5 minutes, it's time for the topcoat. If you use Poshe, some people choose to go ahead and start immediately. I have found though that a small wait period really helps the polish to 'set'.

Apply the topcoat. Once done wait at least 10 minutes before finishing off your thumbs using the exact same process. Since you've already washed start at rubbing your fingers clean with alcohol. Give 2 minutes in between each coat (base, color, top coat) as you'd normally wait if doing a full set.

Afterward, depending on your product, wait time can vary. I always try to do my nails late at night. I give myself 30 minutes before I hit the sack and my nails are always fine. If you might roll your hands underneath and push them against sheets maybe you should extend that to 45 minutes or so. You can also run some super cold tap water and place your fingers underneath for a minute. This also helps polish to dry and set (only after at least 10-15 minutes after topcoat).

The next day, to remove any extra possible leftover mess, get in the shower and give your hair a good scrubbing. This will remove all of the extra polish and leave your nails looking great.

A couple of other extra things:

If you are in a hurry like me, please try Poshe or Seche Vite fast drying. It dries the surface after application in one minute and the entire nail from top to bottom in 5.

Keep a file in your purse. There is nothing worse for a manicure or good nails than a bad snag that you have to deal with without clippers or a file.

Give yourself time. I've noticed that keeping polish on my nails, even if it's a sheer, makes them stronger and grow better. But this isn't an overnight thing. It can take months. So learn how to do your nails and be patient.

Some department store brands are just as good as the expensive ones. Revlon wears incredibly well and has some great colors. So check out the local drugstore sales.

The shorter, the better. Long nails break more often and sadly break worse. I've had long nails break past the quick and all the way into the bed of my nail. It hurts and takes weeks to grow out. Short nails are beautiful and easy to maintain.

Don't be afraid to try something new. Vampy dark colors are gorgeous and if you give them a chance, might be a new way to express yourself.

*polish above is Chanel Blue Satin.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for this post!! LOVE the polish in the pic!! I've read that the dark blues/blacks/dark reds are in right now. I really wish you lived close to me. I would pay you to do my nails. Seriously. Mine are horrible. I'll try some of your tips...maybe I do just need practice. One thing I really don't know how to do is shape my nails. I'm just horrible at that.

Jaime said...

Dark colors are really in, you'd love them, especially blues (I have too many blues!)

I wish you lived nearby too, I'd love to do your nails! ;) I do my sisters alot and try to do Arwens when she will let me. My Mom likes me to do hers from time to time.

Mine were really bad at one point in my pregnancy from the hyperthyroid. I just keep them short and even and no polish. You can also get a nail buffer. Those are gold and easy and keep your nails shiny and smooth. =D

Erin said...

I made a really sad attempt this weekend...we were cleaning/organizing all weekend so I didn't want to put in too much effort and have them just be ruined. You'll cringe at my efforts I'm sure...I basically filed my nails, wiped them off with one of Hailey's Wet Ones and put on a sparkly top coat my mom gave me from Avon LOL...and, it's chipping off. :( I also painted Hailey's nails a hot pink after a good trim and wipe but it came off in the bathtub!! I've never seen polish do that...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Chanel polish you pictured. I would love to have it.

I used to have a nail buffer. My husband used it until it wasn't good anymore (shhhhh don't tell LOL)

Jaime said...

Hey Again Erin! =)

I hope you see this, I'll make a post this week with some comparison pictures of other dupes of the Chanel if you'd like. ;)

The Chanel was for Christmas or I'd never have it. I'm too cheap but trust me, there are colors that wear just as well and look just the same out there! =)

Erin said...

I wondered how you got it, I looked it up and apparently it's hard to come by?? Lucky! How much does that brand usually cost?

Jaime said...

You can find it online at Nordstrom. Or in the mall (where they got it for me). It runs around 18 dollars a bottle (insane!).

I'll get those pictures of very close duplicates when I get a chance. I just got the birthday party ones uploaded but I promise I'll get them! ;)

Anonymous said...

Your instructions are pretty good for the most part. You covered just about all the bases. I would like to clarify one thing if I may?
When you say that running ice water (cold water) over your nails helps speeds the drying time a bit, I must disagree. In reality, the slower a polish dries, the better. Polish has various solvents in it, and when it is exposed to air - such as after being applied to your nails, the solvents begin the process of evaporation. When the solvents have evaporated, the polish is dry. When you place your hands in cold water, there is no way for the solvents to evaporate from the polish since it is no longer exposed to air. Thus, placing nails that have been freshly polished into cold water does not speed up the drying time. This is an old myth.
Just one more thing: I think you already mentioned this, more or less, but essentially the price of a nail polish has absolutely nothing to do with the overall quality of the polish. Perhaps you have a preference for certain, more expensive brands, I don't know. But, spending $18 on a single bottle of nail polish is on the brink of absurdity. When you purchase these high cost polishes, you are generally paying for the brand name, and not the polish itself. The fact that a polish costs quite a bit more than some others certainly doesn't guarantee that it is a good quality polish. In fact, some of the least expensive polishes work better than many of these over priced brand name polishes. Basically, nail polish is nail polish. They all have the same ingredients - give or take a one or two. Anyway, the thing that makes a polish good, or great is in the formulation of those ingredients. Each company does it differently. Some simply have better methods for formulating better nail polishes than other companies do. But, they really are almost 100% identical in terms of the product ingredient list.
I'll end this post by congratulating you on a job well done. Your thread was interesting to read, and it seems like you have a good deal of knowledge about the topic.
Best wishes!