CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Unicorn Cake, Take 1


Back on topic from my previous entry. Today I had to tackle two things in regard to Arwen's birthday cake.

Where to purchase it?

What kind of unicorn to have on it, if a pre-made design wasn't available.

I contacted several bakeries. At first I was set on the PA Bakery. They make the most delicious cakes but truth be told, they are very expensive. I decided to try Publix but when I called there was a huge language barrier with the person I spoke to.

"Hello, bakery." I knew immediately this might be tough.

"Hi, do you make unicorn birthday cakes?"

"You like birthday cake? come down to choose what you want."

"But do you have a unicorn cake?"

"We write what you like here, only take a minute, you come down."

"But do you make unicorn birthday cakes? Do you have that design?"

"We write what you want, it easy."

I thanked the lady and hung up, so much for Publix. Finally I called the one source for birthday cakes. Baskin Robbins. This place has raked in so much of our cash it ain't even funny. They have done cakes for all of my children. The only reason I didn't go there first is Vincent doesn't' particularly love ice cream.

The wonderful cake decorator (she has worked there for years) told me if I could bring in a picture (non-copyrighted of course) that wasn't too complex she could place it upon the cake. She also told me the exact size I bring in will be the size placed on the cake.

I hung up the phone and got to work. I found a picture online I liked and took it from there, it took about 30 minutes to draw it out and then to trace with a black permanent marker for definition. Below is the picture as I'll have it colored with icing. Now I have to decide what color to do the cake and border and to ask Arwen what flavor ice cream and cake she would like inside.



On a side note, Mom asked if I'd like cake decorating classes for my birthday this year. I am in serious need of a refresher course as well and some practice. I told her I'd be thrilled. So maybe, just maybe, I can do the other childrens cakes from this birthday forward.

**edited** For the complete cake please see HERE.

0 comments: