CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 18, 2008

School Update

So as of today, this is where we stand.

I spoke with the public school, found out exactly what I needed to enroll her. We spoke briefly about the issues at hand, what I expected for my daughter. After we hung up I called the private school to tell them my concerns and the potential impact from it.

The private school gets my number. The assistant principal calls. I've never spoken with her and I wish now that I had. She was very polite, very calm and listened to all of my concerns. She has met my child before and told me she personally doesn't believe my daughter does anything out of a malicious intent. She asked me to consider meeting with her and Mrs. B together next week to try one time to make this work. I was hesitant at first but decided to give them both the opportunity to try and win me over with a positive plan for my child.

I then received a call from the public school again, this time from the principal. I told him the offer from the other school and he understood my decision to at least hear them out. He also assured me that Arwen is always welcome. He was very cordial and warm, so I'll feel totally comfortable moving her if this doesn't work.

So next week, I will take Arwen back to the private school to meet with the assistant principal and with Mrs. B. I will give them the chance to explain their plan and I'll give Arwen the chance to tell me what she thinks. The worst that can happen is she starts the public school one or two weeks later. Because if she continues to be miserable, she's as good as transferred.

I'll keep you updated. Cross your fingers for us.

3 comments:

Martygrn said...

I just ran across your blog and wanted to let you know what I thought after reading a few of your most recent posts. I am an RN who works in a pediatric ICU and I really want to tell you something. I take care of children every day who are gravely ill and I have to say, probably not even half the parents I work with everyday are as involved in their children's lives as you are. I know it is sad to say, but I see it all the time. I applaud you for actually paying attention and knowing their kids.

As an example of what I see, I'll say this. Let's say a child is being whiny, cranky and appears uncomfortable. I ASSUME that the mom knows her child better than I do, especially since I may have only met them that morning, so I'll ask mom something along the lines of "I this close to how they normally act or do you think their in pain?" You wouldn't believe the number of times I hear "I dunno" as an answer. We might be talking about someone who is only 12-18 months old. They cannot tell us if they are in pain. I have to either guess or count on the parents to assess if they seem in pain so I can treat it. Since most of the time I am using narcotics for pain, I really would rather not guess and end up giving morphine or some such for a child who is not in pain.

Bottom line, I think you are a parent who would know. I hope and pray that you never have to be in the position to have to tell me.

I also have children myself and hope that I have the strength to stand up to the schools the way you have in defense of your child. I would guess most of the resistance you are running in to is because the teacher is not used to being questioned by the parent. Quite a few parents probably assume that what the teacher says is exactly accurate because they don't pay enough attention to their children to know that what is being reported is out of character for their child. I am glad to see there are very good, outstanding parents such as yourself out there.

Lawfrog said...

I'll keep a good thought for you and it's excellent that you are so involved and caring about your child's education and well-being.

Erin said...

Good luck with the meeting!