CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Acceptance

Right now I'm waging a terrible inner war. The logical side of me is losing out, the pride in me has the slight edge.

So what's the cause of this inner turmoil? Money of course. Money is tight in our house, especially right now. The logical part of me says, "Jaime. You live well. There are people out there struggling far worse than you, living with little to no food, in squalor. There are People who cannot clothe their children or pay the rent."

But then that pride in me says, "why can't you find the extra money to attend the bash? Do you want everyone at your daughter's school to think you don't care? You know people will notice you aren't there. Can you just go and bid on one thing? You really want that class quilt they made. You might not win it but you could try!"

And on the battle continues. I keep telling myself over and over most people who have children in this establishment are in a higher economical class than we. They have very lucrative employment. Most don't struggle with the little things...like money.

I hate feeling like this. Because I do love the simple things. I love my life, my children, my husband and my home. My children live a good life and don't go without. But still I am surrounded by those that remind me that as far as we've come, it still doesn't compare to others.
For example. Arwens class has a quilt that is being auctioned. It has each childs' hand on it with a sea motif. I wish I could at least try to win it. But I know to have any shot at winning it, we'd end up having to get a small loan. We're bidding against people that have oodles of money. I won't be shocked to see it go in the thousands of dollars.

This bash thing they are holding, in my opinion, is insulting to some parents who are on a tight budget. They need to send out one flier or invitation and leave it alone. Let people RSVP and then send out all the letters each day with new items for auction, new people to honor and advertising what a "romantic night out" it can be for a couple to share.

Maybe I'm being bitter. I need a dose of real world, to help me see just how stupid this is, how petty. But I am human and it's human to want. Right? I don't know what's worse. Feeling like this or blogging for the world to see how shallow I am right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hon, you are not shallow. We all want. You and I are cut from different cloths than some other moms. We buy our purses at Payless and our bathing suits at Wal-Mart. Honestly, if you had more money, knowing what you know, would you change that? No, you probably just buy your bathing suit at Wal-Mart when it wasn't on SALE. We all want. It's completely normal. Being around people that have everything is very hard. But you have to remember becasue of that, they don't cherish things quite the same you do. And the things you cherish are the things you will have forever. Things that you can take with you to heaven. Thoughts of your children, and memories of the love you had for them. I hope that makes an ounce of sense.**hug**

Lawfrog said...

There is nothing shallow about the way you feel. NOTHING! We've all been there. It's natural to want to do more for yourself and your children than your finances currently allow. I know all about the struggle of finances, it's a tough one.

Also, everything is relative. Yes, there are people struggling in this world for basic needs such as food, clean water, and so on. That doesn't mean your own feelings and struggles are insignificant. Pain is relative. You are allowed to feel the way you do. Feelings are not right or wrong, they just are.

If you're shallow, then we are ALL shallow. There is not one person on this planet who hasn't felt the same way you do now.