CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 21, 2008

Jesus is just all right with me

My Mom is at it again. Actually, she's been at it for a few months now. Her latest obsession with our household?

She wants us to attend her church.

Now. Usually, this wouldn't be such a bad thing. Jimbo and I do want to find a church soon and have been talking about it some recently. We'd wanted to wait until the children were a bit older and Logan was more at ease in public.

There are however two I have with my Mom's church.

1. It's so far away. It's not only on the other side of town but it would be a good hour+ drive for us. The gas costs alone would kill us.

2. It's another denomination. I don't recall exactly what it is but I remember thinking, "what is that??" I don't want to just jump in without researching the church.

I've told my Mom this and she just doesn't seem to 'get it'. Case in point. She called yesterday.

"Are things still looking ok for Sunday??"

"As good as they can be," I say.

"Oh...," she pauses and I know what's coming. "Because I really wish there were some way to take all the kids to church with me, they'd just love it!"

"Mom, we are not taking them to church. I'm sorry. It's too far away, would require us to pack them up for church and then your house as well. It's too much work."

Of course she doesn't respond and instead sits on the other end of the phone festering. I know why she wants us to go. It's the prime opportunity for her to show off her 'grandbabies'. But I refuse to take my children to a church just to hunt eggs. In my opinion it would be very rude to the congregation. I can just see how they would perceive us:

"Hey, nice to meet you, hope you don't mind we've brought 3 children here to hog your easter eggs and candy from your regularly attending children."

Only to finish up after and make our exit saying, "Don't worry, we won't be back next Sunday! Take care!"

1 comments:

Lawfrog said...

I can't imagine getting four children ready for an hour+ trip to church every Sunday. No way.

With your mom, just remember that "No" is a complete sentence. You don't owe anyone an explanation. You're the mom now and you have to do what is best for your kids, which you are doing wonderfully I might add.

Hang tough. It's hard to deal with parents who try to take you on guilt trips every day.