CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Breastfeeding Stigma


I've started and deleted entries about this issue. I'm not sure why exactly. Perhaps it is because I didn't think it was warranted enough, or better yet because I do not like offending other Mother's who choose to raise their children differently than I have my own. But I've decided the time has come to voice my feelings about breastfeeding.

To all you formula feeding Moms out there. I in no way believe you are doing less for your children simply because you do not nurse. I think each person chooses what is best in the long term for themselves. However...

I'm so tired of the negative remarks made toward breastfeeding women. For example, god forbid a nursing Mother mention she is nursing to give her child the best food for them or to give them the best start in life. That is a huge NO NO. Sure it might be true but you run the risk of pissing off other Mothers who have nothing to do with your choice.

I've also heard the way breastfeeding has been twisted into a perverse thing. Some women have actually asked me if it "feels good" or "if it feels like a man sucking on your breast". To these people I responded "you are sick." And they are. No, it doesn't feel sexual or erotic. It feels warm and loving because I am providing nourishment for my child.

If I may, I'd like to tell you what I witnessed this on Thanksgiving. My cousins baby who is two weeks older than Annabel was there. They began asking questions about myself, how I lost all the baby weight and finally about nursing.

"How much does she weigh? How long are you going to do that for? Don't you feed her other food too? Aren't you afraid she isn't getting enough? Do you give her a pacifier? Isn't it embarrassing? Do you feed her in public?" etc etc.

Or

"I could never do that. It feels too weird."

"I tried but she wasn't getting enough."

"It hurt too bad."

"I carried the baby for 9 months, I want my body back."

"He helped me, he can get out of bed to help feed the baby. It's not my job!"

"I tried but the first time she latched on I did this," holds arms as far away from her as possible while mimicking holding her baby. "I said get me a bottle NOW."

As I heard these things I was polite. And I kept my mouth shut. I knew that if I said anything the tables would suddenly be reversed. I've been there before. Had I said anything positive about nursing, other than the questions directed to me, someone was liable to get offended. I did however answer how much Annabel weighs and got, "wow!" due to the fact that while nursed, Annabel outweighed their own daughter (who is two weeks older). They did everything short of calling me a liar. Even going so far as to say, "are you sure? she looks smaller than Kaylia!"

Then it was time to feed our babies. I retreated to a quiet room alone while she went into the living room. When we finished I returned to the group and we sat talking. Around 15 minutes later her baby became very fussy. Immediately she pulled the bottle back out and started shoving it at the baby. The baby cried harder and rotated between shoving the bottle away and taking it. I watched on as the baby began wailing and screaming. I noticed spit up dribbling down her tiny chin. After a few more minutes I couldn't stand it any longer and handed Annabel to Jim.

"May I please? I promise if I can't calm her I will hand her back." I reached out my hands, hoping she would give me the chance to try and comfort the baby.

She graciously handed her to me and I began firmly burping her while also holding her tight to my chest. She was still spitting up (I have a huge stain on my shirt to prove it) and finally a large "BUUUURRRP" escaped from her mouth. The milk smelled sour, so I was pretty sure it was older milk, possibly. Still even after the burp she only calmed for a short time and returned to screaming.

I'll have you know that baby cried for over 45 minutes, only stopping from time to time. They had her dressed in a satin/silk dress with stockings. I asked if they had a nice comfie cotton jammie to place her in. I was certain the tight hose were uncomfortable. When they said they didn't I offered them the one I'd packed as an extra for Annabel. Initially they accepted but when I went into the living room a few minutes later the outfit still sat. They decided against it because "she seems calmer now." I felt so badly for the baby but picked up the soft piece of clothing and put it away.

When we left Jimbo turned to me and said, "I'm so glad you decided to nurse all of our children, that poor baby broke my heart."

I nodded and said I wasn't sure but I thought it was the formula causing an upset tummy and Jimbo confirmed this. Apparently he overheard my cousin and his wife talking about the newest formula they were trying her on. The poor thing is always colicky and fussy. He said he was very shocked to hear the babies Mother say she couldn't wait to return to work after the long weekend.

So yes, I'm glad I nurse. I'm grateful I didn't have to deal with things like colic or switching formulas to find just the right one. And I'm not ashamed of it. Here are some of the reasons I nurse my child.

*****

No bottles. I don't have to worry about heating a midnight bottle. All I have to do is reach into the bassinet and bring the baby into the bed to nurse. After I'm finished she can return to her bed. And if you're especially sleepy, you can do the side lying nursing position and you both can rest.

It's healthy. Your baby benefits so much. Your milk is easily digestible to him/her.

No smelly diapers! Breastfeeding babies don't have that smelly poo you think they do. In fact it reminds me of buttered popcorn (sorry if that was too visual).

Losing weight! Annabel is 4 months old and I weigh less than I did when I found out I was pregnant. While this much weight loss isn't the norm (I lost it this fast with Logan too but not with Arwen or Vince) you will lose more calories by nursing.

It's convenient. You don't have to worry about packing bottles when leaving the house. Your food is right there for your baby.

You save money. No expensive formula here. We did the math and by nursing all my children we've saved thousands of dollars.

The bond. A Mother can experience such a bond while nursing. I truly can say I will admit to missing this one aspect as my children grow.

*****

There are more but these are the major reasons I nurse. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
And as for my cousin and his baby girl. I called and she's still fussy. My heart breaks for her. They are trying yet another formula and may have to switch to
Nutramigen LIPIL. They are trying to find other alternatives however because the cost is high for that particular type of formula. I hope they are able to ease Kaylias discomfort soon.

**That gorgeous photo is of Lucy Lawless of Xena fame and her child.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I totally agree with everything you said. There were times I wished that they would at least take a bottle of breast milk from time to time so I could go somewhere without them but I don't regret a single moment I spent nursing.

Unknown said...

You and I sound so much alike. I was just lying in bed last night, falling asleep, and I started thinking about how much I miss nursing my daughter and it made me want another one.

People have said the most horrible and offensive comments to me about nursing. I chose to nurse until my daughter self-weaned, but that wasn't happening, so I weaned her at 16 months. My friends asked me repeatedly after 6 months or so, "when are you going to stop?!?" like I was crazy. And it really bugged me when they said, "I just couldn't do it, my breasts are my own, etc." No... your body created this child, and there's nothing wrong or strange with nourishing it! It's completely natural.

About a year ago, I posted a picture of me nursing in response to the outrage at the Parenting Magazine with the mom nursing on the front. It riled me up!

Anyway, I just found your blog through Kristin's, I'm glad I did!

Erin said...

First of all I'll start off saying I did both with my daughter. I nursed til she was 4 weeks old, then I gradually switched to formula. This is just one of those really hard subjects...as careful as anybody is, it's really hard not to be offensive in some fashion. This is one issue where I believe it really truly is "whatever is best for your family." I feel the need to point out that there reason the baby you blogged about was so fussy was possibly not from the fact that she's on formula, but possibly because she just has digestive issues. I breastfed Hailey from day 1, exclusively. She was very agitated, squirmed and grunted constantly, would not sleep. At 2 weeks she started throwing up my milk...not just spitting up, I'm talking full out emptying her stomach of all my breastmilk. She also took forever to nurse. I had a really rough time...Hailey was NOT planned, she was a very big surprise. I didn't want a baby. But I still wanted to do what was best, so I tried to breastfeed. But with her taking so long to eat...I'm talking 45 minutes or more(she was one of those snackers that would leisurely eat, drift off, eat some more, drift off...no matter what I did to try and wake her up). I would finish feeding her, lie her down at which time she'd begin grunting and fussing...then 30 minutes later she'd want to begin another 45 minute eating session. I got NO sleep. Literally. And no one could help, because my pump didn't work for me. It was all on me to feed her. The pain didn't bother me, I got over that, and that got better. But I never felt that warm lovey feeling. I resented her for needing to eat...every time she cried I thought OH GOD again, already?? I never felt let down, even though it did happen. I hated the gooey breastpads. I hated the fact that if we were in public I had to stop what I was doing and either retreat to my car, a breastfeeding room(always so hot and stuffy!) or the back room at a family member's house(where they would sit and talk about how long she was taking to eat). Even my own mother was VERY uncomfortable with the idea of breastfeeding. I cried and beat myself up for a couple weeks because I was thinking about switching her to formula. I felt like I'd failed as a mother. She was gaining weight beautifully, even though she was throwing the milk up and grunting and fussing all the time. But I was a mental wreck...and my body was still completely beat up physically, because I heal so slowly. I cared about my daughter but I didn't feel that bond with her. Finally I gave in and switched to formula. And it was the best thing I could have ever done for her. She quit throwing up. She quit grunting all night. I got some sleep because my husband was able to take over the nighttime feedings. I was able to go back to work and not have to be stressed about how my pump didn't work on me. Since I was able to get more sleep, I was a much happier person. I started healing(although it took me a good 6 months to get back to normal down there!) and I started actually enjoying Hailey. I started taking her on walks early in the mornings on the weekends. Bottle feeding gave us the freedom to go anywhere...if she was hungry I could just pull out the bottle and feed her right there. Even in the middle of a store! Her poop didn't leak out of her diaper anymore(those darned yellow curds used to get EVERYWHERE!). And all of a sudden, I loved my daughter, and I loved being her mom. I thank God for formula...in our case, in our situation, it really was the best thing for us. It turned everything around.

With that said....I'm totally breastfeeding our next baby! It's funny, because the older Hailey got I would wish I could still breastfeed her. Not for convenience, but for that closeness factor. I would sit and rock her to sleep at night, and I'd feel all warm and lovey and content and I'd feel this weird tingling in my breasts, like they always told me let down was supposed to feel...even though I wasn't lactating anymore. And this is when she was almost a year old! I really started to wish I had that special bond with her. Plus, I already want our next child...not right now of course, because of financial reasons, but we're already looking forward to having our next baby. I really think me not wanting a baby factored into how I felt about having to breastfeed her. Now I look forward to having that bond with our next one. I've also changed since I had Hailey...I won't care if family makes comments, I won't care about having to sneak off to a quiet room to bf in public...hell I'll actually welcome it! LOL I do still worry about the lack of sleep, but I'm hoping since I plan on staying home with the next one sleep won't be such a factor.

Ok talk about a long comment...

Just take it from somebody who has done both. There are pluses and minuses to BOTH, and breastfeeding is not always best for a child. Hailey thrived on formula, and my sitter's son who was breastfed until he was over a year old(he's 2 months older than Hailey) gets sick just as much as Hailey does. People on BOTH ends of this spectrum need to let up, and realize each family is doing what is best for them. And remember, an unhappy mommy is worse for a baby than formula :o)

Jaime said...

Hey Erin,

I just saw your comment, please forgive me if I'm late in responding to you.

First and foremost, I believe every Mom and family does what is best for them and I support it 100%

You are right, it's a very difficult topic and feelings do get hurt. I try my best not to say anything about it because of this very reason. I can't tell you the number of times I've been upset by someone telling me I was a pervert because I nurse my children.

But back on topic lol, the baby I was speaking of, I truly believe, has dietary issues. As I said, she kept spitting up and as a Mom of 4 I know that spit up = too full a tummy. As I burped her she let out the large belch and returned to screaming, so it was obvious her tummy was upset.

Would formula have made this better? I honestly don't know. I do know they are working toward a solution which is the best they can do.

I'll go ahead and admit something and I hope it's not TMI but..nursing was incredibly easy for me. Other than the normal bleeding and torn nipples at the start, after 2 weeks I was off and running. None of my children got teeth (with the exception of Vincent) until they were at least 1 so biting wasn't an issue. And all of my children had a wonderful latch on, so I'm just very fortunate.

But with that said, I have had problems nursing because of my own health. I've needed medications for years now but haven't been able to start them due to nursing children back to back. Then with Logan I found out I was pregnant again and I'll confess, I almost switched to formula. My breast were so sensitive (as you probably remember from your pregnancy) and each time he nursed it was rather painful. I did keep it up however and weaned about a month before Vincent claimed me as his moo cow.

I'm glad you did what was best and please understand it wasn't my intention to say anything negative about formula. Just that the baby was in distress and I wanted to ease it. I truly wish though that they had changed her into the cotton jammie. I really believe if she'd been in a looser, softer outfit, perhaps she would have been able to soothe.

=)