CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 19, 2007

Keeping up with the Jones


So I took AB (it's what she wants to be called now, don't ask me why) to a birthday party Friday. I was mortified to be 20 minutes late but this was due to getting lost in 4pm traffic.

As we arrived I grabbed the present, AB and my purse and camera. The house looked nice from the outside but nothing too fancy. A brick rancher with a small porch and garage. But boy oh boy, when I stepped inside I felt so self conscious.

The house was so carefully decorated. The walls in each room were painted to compliment the lighting. Pictures and paintings were scattered among the walls. At the front door a beautiful antique looking desk with a mirror. As I made my way from the formal dining room which was attached to a small study (complete with a desk and piano) I came into the living room. The furniture was a dark wood, beautiful and earthy and straight ahead was the kitchen. I fell in love instantly.

The kitchen wasn't even big but it didn't need to be. A wrap around counter hosted the sink, stove (one of the new ones I'd love to have, with the invisible eyes) and fridge. On the opposite wall was a built in booth, complete with overhead cabinets and class doors. All painted in white, offset with ivory ceramic tile. Underneath the couter tops, facing the living room, were shelves for books. Each nook was filled, some spaces holding framed photos.

I told the lady of the house how beautiful her home is. The fireplace in the living room was also lovely but understated to match the kitchen. She thanked me and told me she's lived in the home for 17 years and that is why it's come along, not because she is a good decorator. I'd beg to differ.

So now I'm looking at my own home, feeling very inadequate. The truth is, the only room that is really decorated (as far as living spaces, not bathrooms) is the formal dining room. My kitchen and living room are blah, same for the family room. I've decided to get my ass into gear and finally fix up the living room. It is past time to paint over the numerous crayola drawings and ink on the wall.

I want to do the back wall, where the couch usually is placed, with a textured cream/brown/tan wallpaper. Then to bring that out I'll be painting the rest of the room in a light cream to go along with it. I've already decided where to put new pictures and how to do some frames with photo collages through out. The plan is taking shape and I'm planning it out. Now to wait for the money.

That is the crappy thing about making your home look nice, the price. It's crazy. Just to paint our family room (which I'll admit is rather large) we forked out 80+ dollars in kilz and then paint alone. This didn't include extra brushes or rollers.

After this is complete it will be on to my daughters room. She has begged Santa for Butterscotch. For those of you who are not aware of what Butterscotch (the link will take you to a youtube video that shows Butterscotch in motion and it is pretty awesome, I've seen her in person and AB is so excited) is, see above. She is a pretty creature but an expensive one. I've decided to decorate AB's room with a fenced area, plush or turf grass and some flowers. I'm also going to purchase a few buckets and materials to make a hackamore for her new pony.

I just wish we had more money to spend. Usually taxes are where we get money to decorate a new room each year but that is already gone, being used to reside the house. I'm not even getting into all of that mess, home maintenance is a bitch. Especially when money is tight.

0 comments: