CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pack Rat!


My husband is probably going to get mad about this entry. But truthfully, he can't get anymore angry than I was sorting through all of his crap last night. You see, my husband is a pack rat. He gets this from his family. They are the first and only family I have ever met who doesn't throw anything away. If one of them decide to part with something, they merely pass it along to another family member. I'm not even going into the entire fights that occur when someone *gasp* throws out a piece of old furniture.
.
"That's been in the family for 500 years!!" I can just hear it now.
.
*sigh*

And last night was the last straw for me.

I don't know how to tell him these things he clings to are taking up space. I mean seriously, do you really need those trophies from soccer when you played as a kid in 1990?? Isn't it time to let go of the past and move forward? Yes, it's nice to revisit the glory days but I already have pictures that cement each moment in stone. Your Mom made sure of that.

We don't need those board games that are missing pieces, or the old notebooks and manuals from college. We don't need old calendars that are 5 years old or boxes from items we purchased 5 years ago (I'm pretty sure that warranty is gone by now).

It's nice your Mom saved your baby blankets, jackets and toys but unless our children can actually play with them, what's the point? Why pass them on if they will only stay in a box in our closet? We also don't need all of those holey t-shirts in the closet or shorts you no longer wear. Let these things go for the sake of forgoing all the clutter!

I'm not looking forward to cleaning out this space, not at all. I have a feeling all I'm going to do is move things around my home. Maybe I should just chunk some of this crap and not ask. I'm pretty sure he won't even notice it's gone. I can't tell you the last time he grabbed his old trophies and did whatever it is he does with them. Our attic is so full of old junk that we no longer have any room up there.

You know you have too much junk when you can't even fit the kids Santa presents into the attic without moving boxes around. I'm in desperate need of a pack rat intervention!

0 comments: