CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Hell-Mart Invasion, Mexicana Style


Ok, this is going to be a VERY politically incorrect blog. I apologize in advance for any toes I may step on.

What is up with all the Mexicans in Wal-Mart? I don't mean employees, I mean the shoppers. I made my bi-weekly trip to hell tonight and BAM! I was surrounded. I kept looking around pondering if I somehow drove south of the border and was in Mexico and not Redneckville. I felt like a tourist or something. In fact, I complimented one chica with her nene.

"What a beautiful baby!" I smiled.

She gave me this totally blank look and I realized after a moment that she didn't understand a word I was saying. I quickly tossed together some spanish, praying I didn't call her child a goat or something.

"Hola, bebe hermoso." I pointed and smiled.

"Gracias," she smiled back and proceeded to start a conversation.

Unfortunately, I am in no way fluent in Spanish. I only know a few phrases and words. I shook my head and raised my hands, trying to look sad.

"No speak Espanol."

And with that, she nodded and took off. So much for transcending that language barrier. And it wasn't just her. As I got into line the cashier was trying to explain something (I think there was no tag on the shoes they were attempting to purchase) to a husband and I assume wife Mexican couple. She looked around while the man stared down the cashier who kept speaking super slow. I decided to find another line, this might take awhile.

The entire trip was so surreal.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

just the opposite here.
I sometimes wonder just how many toohtless rednecks live in this county.

I try to avoid walmart as much as possible even if I have to pay a little extra at the supermarket.

Jaime said...

If there were a supermarket closer I'd definately make the trip but sadly, there isn't.

I live way out in the boonies. We don't even have a mall here. We have rednecks as well, I guess they just weren't shopping last night lol.

Rae said...

only wal-mart? how simply awful. it's hard to shop at a store that perpetuates such poor community economics.