CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Ignorance



I simply cannot believe this. People forking out 22,000+ dollars for a CAT. What's so special about this beast? Does it bless the liter basket with gold? No. It's specialty comes in the form of being a "designer hybrid". In other words, no different than any other alley cat by design. Just the male and female that were bred to one another are rare hybrids themselves, having been bred over the years and now being mixed together.
.
An expensive designer "mutt" if you will. Just like the cats from my childhood. But back then cats were free to good homes. If you said you wanted money for a kitten you'd have been laughed at and the door slammed in your face.
.
CNN.com had the article and as I read it I found myself shaking my head back and forth. We live in a society where it is the norm to spend large sums of money on designer bags, sunglasses, watches, bling and now...pets. I'm baffled.

Perhaps these people need to start looking into the state of the world. That 22,000 dollars could have been used to help fund cancer research or feed the hungry. There are men, women and children, starving, hurting and dying. Yet here are people spending thousands of dollars for a cat. A furry critter that, while maybe it looks impressive, is really just a pet.

Am I the only one that sees something very wrong with this picture?

1 comments:

Erin said...

I totally agree. It makes me so mad, here we are working hard trying to make a living and can't even afford the basics sometimes, but then there are people that are able to blow huge sums of money on crap like that. The world just isn't fair. And like you said, they could be doing so much good with that money! I saw an article on Britney Spear's monthly budget, and something like $19,000 went to clothes(I don't remember the exact amounts, this is just an example) but only like 500$ to charity. ???