CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 12, 2007

Days of Hell - Day 5 Sunday

2am- Wake to his coughing, go in to check on him.

4am- Wake to him coughing and crying. Rush into his room. His wheeze is apparent and awful. I call Mom (mother in law). I tell her to hurry to the house. I hang up, get Jimbo and rush Logan downstairs.

4:15am- Breathing treatment is on board. I pulled out the machine and Mom arrived with his medication. I had to call her because I didn't realize we were out of packets, she has one at her home.

5:45am- We waited an hour and a half for a solid change, there is none. We decide to take Logan to the ER. We pack up and go.

6:30am- Logan is worse, he is making these terrible sounds and I'm trying not to panic. The adrenaline keeps any pain I would feel from surgery at bay. We rush him inside. The lobby is totally empty and no one is at the desk. I fill out the form.
.
6:25am- A woman walks in, "how are you?" I refrain from answering with, "we are in the ER, what kind of question is that??" She leads us to a room, meanwhile Logan is looking much worse.

6:35am- Woman takes her time in triage. She stands Logan on the scale, and is trying to chatter with us. She asks us the spelling of our last time 3 different times before I finally get irrate. "Can you do his pulse ox yet please???" She looks annoyed but does as I ask. I don't get the opportunity to see the numbers, as soon as they pop onto the screen she stands. "Follow me please!" and hurries us into a room.

6:45am- Logan is given oxygen and a Doctor quickly comes in. As the Doctor listens to his chest I go over what has occurred the night before. The doctor calls for a one hour breathing treatment and steroids.

6:50am- Breathing treatment is started, steroids given. Panic is gone now so pain begins to return. I sit in a chair and hold Logans hand.

7:50am- Treatment is over. Wait for someone to come in. Logan vomits a small amount, I clean his mouth and walk to the front desk and inform them, they say someone will come shortly.

8:30am- nurse finally comes in, checks Logan and looks at the vomit. I ask about the high heart rate Logan has, she assures me this is totally normal before exiting the room.

8:55am- nurse comes back in. Doctor wants to start an IV and do blood work. I ask if we can hold off on this as Logan isn't dehydrated and didn't throw up very much at all. She says she will send in the doctor.

9:00am- Doctor comes in. He agrees to withhold on IV/blood work as Logan is autistic and is doing very well so far in the ER environment, he orders another hour long treatment with medication that won't make his heart race so high and Zofran.

9:05am- unknown woman walks in, introduces herself as the person who handles insurance. I give her my cards and license. She wants our co-pay. In our rush we forgot our checkbook. As I'm digging she stands over me. This pisses me off.

Deciding to get this bitch off my ass, I hand her the credit card. She leaves.

9:10am- begin next hour long treatment, Zofran given.

9:20am- insurance woman returns and wordlessly places our receipt and cards on the counter before walking out the door. "You're welcome!" I say to the back of her head.

10:15am- treatment is over. Heart rate is good and no nausea. He's very excitable and acting like his old self. I go to the desk and ask where I can get Logan a drink, I'm given a sprite and a straw. I thank the woman and take it to my son.

11:05am- Doctor comes in, gives instructions and tells us what medications he would like Logan to take. Follow up with our Doctor and tells us good luck.

11:40am- Drop of prescriptions, there is an hour long wait so tell them we will return for it tonight.

12:10pm- Arrive home, exhausted. I'm walking funny as my stomach hurts terribly. Jimbo tells me to go lay down, I don't argue. I climb in and stay put.

5:00pm- I look at the clock and climb out of bed. It's hard to move. My muscles don't want to listen. I go downstairs. Logan is doing well, I prepare a treatment as per Dr's orders.

8:00pm- help Jimbo put Logan into bed. After kids fall asleep we do as well, snores echo through out the house.

1 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow, what a hellish week! I hope good health is on the way soon. I can't imaging the panic you must have felt going to the ER, too.