CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Cell Phone Rant


I'm so sick of cell phones. I truly am. Yes, I own one. Yes I use it. But I don't function under the notion that I must be chatting on my cell constantly while I am away from home. I use my phone if I forget something, need to find out something, or have an emergency. Other people however cannot seem to put the phone down.

Just yesterday I stood in line at my daughters pediatrician, waiting to pay and to schedule her 6 month exam. The man in front of me stood leaning in his black velour slacks and jacket against the counter. His large girth hid most of the counter itself, his daughter stood at his side.

First he began complaining about the co-pay. I was calm during this and patient. Then it happened.

DEEP DEEP DEEP, DEEP DEEP DEEP, DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP!!!!!!

"Hello? Whad up? Hey I'm just at the doctor, yeah, yeah. No man, I'm...blah blah blah blah blah."

Meanwhile, the receptionist is trying to talk to him. Instead of telling the person, "I'll call you back", or "hold on" he just kept gabbing away.

"Sir, it says your co-pay is $25..."

"Naw, naw, hang on a sec man. Naw it's $15, I know it's $15, that's what it was da last time." (as inspired by Ribeye, I'll be writing it as I heard it). "A'ight, I'm back. Yeah I..."

"I undestand sir but it's trying to run through as $25."

So I stand there, shifting my feet back and forth. The man in front of me keeps alternating between talking on that stupid phone and talking to the clerk. I start getting really irked. My infant is waiting for me with her father outside. She just had 3 shots and needs to be taken home. Behind me stood a lady, a gent and two children.

"Sir, what appointment would you like? You're due back in a month."

He motions for her to stop, instead talking to the person on the phone and I've finally had enough. I turn to the people behind me.

"You know, I think perhaps I should just leave and pay them when I feel like it. Maybe if I do that they will insist people put down the phone and stop being so rude to them and to their other patients."

"I totally agree," the woman nodded. "What is wrong with people. How long does it take to pay and make an appointment."

We stood making very loud comments. The man heard us at one point and turned to stare but I just met his eyes and stared right back. I dared him to say a word to me. I was ready to call him out in front of everyone on his rudeness. He looked away eventually and turned to finish up paying out and scheduling.

I finally made it to the counter 10 minutes later and the clerk apologized profusely. I told her the truth. Technically, it wasn't her fault but it was still ridiculous. As I walked outside the man and his child walked toward their low rider Caddy. His little girl was several feet away from him, he was totally ignoring her and better yet, he was still gabbing on the phone.

So what is it with cell phones? I see people do this crap all the time. It's very normal to see a person on a cell phone talking away, totally ignoring the person ringing them up at the store. Or holding the phone up to their ear while driving 80 miles per hour. Or answering the phone in the restaurant, movie theatre, children's play, or even church.

And the very worst part? The children that witness parents being so rude to others with their cell phone habits. Because those children will grow up believing being rude is totally acceptable. So 15 years from now, going to the movies, out to eat or anywhere enjoyable will be met with gabbing on the phone.

This world is in serious need of respect and of proper parenting. I don't see this happening though. Too many in our world feel that they are owed something or are too good to conform to any basic principals, like manners for instance.

*rant off*

0 comments: