CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 7, 2007

Marriage and Divorce

After reading THIS article on CNN I has just one thought. The divorce rate in this country SUCKS.

Here we have same sex couples fighting for the right to wed. They say it's because they want to devote their lives to one another. Then some states give the right, they marry and what happens? They decide a couple of years later they have, "irreconcilable differences" and need to divorce. I know shit happens but when I said I do, I meant I do. For better, worse, anything and everything. Perhaps the only thing that I couldn't honestly forgive is adultery or physical/emotional abuse, otherwise you have to work at it.

Maybe this is harsh of me but I'm asking this in all honesty. Why do people want to be married if it's only going to be taken lightly? We already have men and women marrying that do that all the time. I've seen couples who refuse to marry because they swear they don't need a piece of paper or legal contract to prove their devotion to one another. It seems like they are the couples that last. (them and my grandparents)

This isn't a bash of any kind on same sex couples. This is for all couples who choose to marry and don't do everything they can to make something work. I don't know these two women and it's perhaps unfair to make an example of them. I just find it a shame that divorce occurs so frequently nowadays.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I agree that marriage is taken too lightly these days. It's happened a lot in my family(for good reasons, like my mom divorcing my dad-very good choice on her part...and ridiculous reasons as well) so I always said when I got married I wanted it to be for good. My husband and I have been through some rough times, but we're really working on things and things have gotten so much better.

It's like people see marriage as not really any different than dating. If it doesn't work, they break up...no big deal. Which is NOT how marriage is supposed to work! My little sister just got married Saturday, and I really tried to make her understand this.

Jaime said...

Hi Erin ;)

I couldn't agree more with you. I suppose that for me, I just get annoyed because marriage does take work. People shouldn't take that step if they truly don't intend to work on it.

My parents divorced when I was 7 and it tore me up. They got back together later but I was very afraid of marriage afterward. I always swore, I do meant for always (unless cheating or abuse comes along, there is no excuse for that).