CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Enough is Enough

As you may have noticed, some of my blogs in the past have been up for a short period, then *poof*, vanished. This usually occurs when I mention my side of the family. More specifically, my Mother and her side.

Recently I blogged about my daughter and her unruly and inexcusable behavior when around my Mother. She has gotten so out of control that I wound up spanking her. Something I haven't done in so long I couldn't tell you the last time. She truly had it coming as she was screaming so loudly she woke the baby.

Ever since her return home from her Grans she has been a devil child. Talking back, yelling, refusing to listen. She has told me and her Father no, ran to her room and has thrown her toys. She has had fish pulled at school (she only had one pulled last week) both yesterday and two pulled today. And finally I got to thinking and really sat down and looked at her school sheet and the weekends spent at my Mothers and what'd ya know...there is a link in the two.

For every weekend my daughter visits her "Granny" (god, please help me not go off right now, I so want to). The week after she stays in constant trouble at school. She also has toys and games taken away and is generally on bedroom arrest. It usually takes at least 3-4 days for her to settle back into things and return to the child I know.

This has to stop, NOW. I've decided that the risks of pissing off my Mother are less important than showing my daughter this will no longer be tolerated. The problem is, how exactly to go about making changes.

Ultimately, the problem lies with my Mother herself. I know she loves my children but she has to stop giving in. For example:

If she says she is leaving, Arwen will cry. She will only get louder and louder and then my Mother will finally say, "ok ok, show me but I have to go, now stop that crying!". Then she will stay another 15-30 minutes. She has taught my daughter that by crying and throwing a fit, she will get her way. Even if it angers myself and her Father.

This has become the norm for many things as far as my Mother is concerned and Arwen. This is what caused the blow out over the weekend. Screaming and demanding which accumulated in Arwen getting a good spanking. And after the spanking, instead of supporting my decision to have Arwen stay home, she instead says:

"Why are you punishing me??" She gives me that shocked, mortified, angry, hurt, confused, look. The look that drives me fucking INSANE. I can't stand that look. I just want to shake her because when she gives that look, it's not about anyone else. It's not about teaching my daughter manners or rules. It's not about showing a child boundaries must be set and tempers have to be mastered. Nope, it's all about good old ME.

Arwen has learned it's not so hard to pit her Granny against me. Our issues have caused enough heat in the past. We are still dealing with boundaries, such as my Mother not telling me when she takes my children out on the road to go here or there without my permission. My Mother still can't grasp the concept of staying home when she gets the kids. Instead she wants to go to this place or that. I've never met someone who simply cannot stand to stay home. This struggle has been compounded by the fact my Mother doesn't respect our wishes and instead goes where she pleases. Only to be ratted out by us catching her in the act or when Arwen tells us, "guess where Granny took me!".

I'm absolutely frustrated at this moment. I'm listening to my daughter upstairs crying and whining and I want to call my Mother and get ugly with her about this. Of course I won't do that, not right now at least. Because I know my Mother won't take any of the blame. She will think I'm blaming her for something that isn't her fault. She will argue with me and we will stop speaking again.

Maybe I'll wait until Christmas is over before dropping the bomb. But as of tonight a plan is underway. Changes are about to take place. I just hope that I'm strong in this and don't waver. I'm usually so eager to please. Making someone upset or angry with me kills me inside. I truly cannot stand it.

But this isn't about me, it's about being a proper Mother. It's time to take control.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

This is something you HAVE to do for your family! My mom was a little out of hand at first, and my husband actually set her straight after she contradicted his parenting in front of Aurora. She complained to me, and I told her he was right, and she needed to listen to him. She was definitely miffed, but she got over it.

Some spoiling is to be expected, that's the fun of the grandparent-grandchild relationship.

If the grandparent-grandchild relationship is such that it's affecting your daughter's school work, then it's become unhealthy for her.

Since Aurora's my stepdaughter, and she spends a week at her mom's and then a week with us, and her mom doesn't really believe in discipline or boundaries (she just want to be the friend), we have this issue every other weekend when she comes back from her week at mom's. Friday night and Saturday are full of time-outs and lost privileges, mainly because of back talk and refusal to listen to us.

But, after a lot of trial and error, we've refined the exact mix of time-outs and revoked privileges (and even the rare spanking) that work for her and snap her out of "mom mode". It still sucks, because we feel like the bad guys most of the weekend, but it's what we have to do to get her focused for school.

It's definitely a work in progress. Just last week we had to refine it yet again, when her normal top of the stairs (away from us, but not totally out of sight and away from all the fun stuff in her room) didn't work. She kept arguing and backtalking about her punishment, and I warned her to sit tight for her time or the next time she opened her mouth she wouldn't like the results, and of course, she did, and I made her come downstairs and stand with her nose in the corner for her time out. Which totally worked. Now we have a new level of timeout.

Anyway, good for you for actually parenting and taking a stand for your children!

Jaime said...

Hi Katherine ;)

Thank you for your comment. It's a relief to hear I'm doing the right thing.

It's very hard because I don't want to be the bad guy or upset my Mom but the time has come to put my foot down.

I just hope I can do this without any hard feelings and in a way that you have for you and your family ;)