CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

More Teacher Drama


Yesterday was not my day on many levels. For one, I'm sick...again! I'm so tired of being sick. I tried to shake it all day yesterday and failed. As I sit here I'm sniffling snot and have a nasty taste in my throat.

Fun.Fun.Fun.

Then last night Jimbo arrives home with Arwen. She has more fish pulled. As is usual I always ask for an explanation prior to looking in her daily folder. She tells me she got into trouble for "telling someone you have big boobies Mommy, why is boobies a bad word?"

*sigh*

Then the whopper. I see in her folder.

"Inappropriate Language (ask her)." and then...

"Trying to kiss another child". A long arrow was drawn from this toward the bottom of the paper and written in purple marker was, "Aarrrgghh!!!"

Please tell me, is that not the most unprofessional thing to do? Writing something like that, showing your obvious frustration, in a childs daily folder? Is it just me? Does anyone else find this incredibly insulting?

I wrote the teacher an email last night. This is what I said in regard to the "arrrgghh!":

I spoke to her regarding kissing another child (I noticed the "arrrgghh" written below in her folder and hope it was written in frustration and not because Arwen did so out of anything but affection). I'll admit we are very loving household. It is the norm to kiss and cuddle with one another. However, I explained to Arwen that she can only do that at home, with us. I apologize and hopefully after explaining things to her she know understands and will not do that in the future.

I just wanted to let you know I am trying to talk to her and to make some progress with her. So is her Father. We don't want to alienate her because we both believe that trust and balance between parent and child begins early. But we also realize that if we don't do something now things will only get worse.

Thank You,

Now, should I go beyond this? Perhaps schedule a meeting with this woman? At this rate I'm seriously and I mean seriously contemplating going against my husband and yanking my child out of this school.

On one hand she needs a firm hand and direction. But on the other she is just a child and this nit picking is starting to drive me batty.
.
The picture above is of her notebook. How would you take it if you received something like this from a teacher?

5 comments:

Erin said...

That is really odd, that she put that "Aaargh" on there...isn't that kind of voicing her personal frustrations instead of just voicing the issue at hand? I'm afraid I'd have to have a meeting with her if I were you, but that's just me...things like that bug me and I can't let them go.

I know schools are weird these days, my mom is an elementary school secretary. Things have changed a lot since back in the day when I was in elementary school...but trying to kiss another kid doesn't seem like such a horrible thing, even if it wasn't appropriate for school...I have to wonder why it frustrated the teacher that badly? It's not like she was trying to hit a kid for goodness sakes. And she's so young. ???

Anonymous said...

Okay Jaime... this teacher has gone TOO far. Speaking as a teacher, that type of comment is COMPLETELY inappropriate. I definelty think you should schedule a meeting, but not with her. With the principal!!! Take that folder in to show him and say that you believe Arwen is being treating unfairly. Little kids kiss each other all the time. I taught Kindergarten for 10 years... this woman is off her rocker and needs to retire! Sorry for the rant, but this type of thing make my blood boil. I hate seeing old bitties that don't understand children any more, still teaching. They should have retired a long time ago when their career still meant something. I feel so badly for little Arwen! **hug**

Katherine said...

Why is there a smiley face on the day? I agree with littlesunshine though it's totally inappropriate for a teacher to write and you should schedule a conference with the teacher and principal. Doesn't she go to a private, religious school? You're paying for this education, so make sure you get what she needs!

As for the inappropriate language, while they probably don't like to hear 'boobies' in school, it's nothing to arrrgghhh over! Especially in Kindergarten where the kids are just learning social skills. That shouldn't even merit a fish removal! That's something a child needs to be told isn't appropriate for school, but don't make a huge deal over it. Isn't the whole point of Kindergarten to TEACH the kids how to go to school? Teaching them what's appropriate and what's not should be part of that too, especially at a private school!

Anyway, when you meet with the teacher and principal, it might help for all of you to talk to Arwen together about behavior over all, so she gets that you're all on the same page. When Aurora was in Kindergarten, it took her a while to realize we talked to her teacher when she wasn't around so she needed to listen to both of us!

(She tried the "My teacher says do this" a couple times at home and "My daddy says I don't have to" at school!)

Jaime said...

Thanks for responding everyone. I'm talking to Jimbo about what we want to do because we are not ignoring this anymore. Something has to be done.

Katherine ;) The smiley face is her fish. The way it works is this. No fish removed = Star. One removed = Smiley or =). Two removed = a straight face or =I . Three removed = a sad face or =( and after that it's to black and a phone call.

Personally I didn't think boobies was a bad word either because lets face it...Arwen has seen mine alot. I feed Annabel in front of the children and if the teacher asks I will not apologize for it.

And for the kissing thing. I honestly think it's just silly to get upset over. Kids hug and kiss each other. I still remember my first "kiss" as a child. That kind of thing happens.

But hearing everyones advice makes me realize it's not just me and to do something. I really appreciate everyone chiming in!

Spook, RN said...

I'm not a teacher and I'm nowhere close to being a parent...

... BUT,

at the same time the whole - "Arrgh!" think makes no sense to me.

If I were in your place - I'd be just as surprised and confused. Heck - I'm surprised and confused that this is even an "issue"!!!

This is beyond silly! They are KIDS for goodness sakes! Why is it wrong for kids to show affection for each other? A kiss or a hug? We actually need more of that in our adults... but yet we are bent on teaching our kids the exact opposite!

Madness!!!