CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Brush your Teeth

Alright, the time has come. I'm going to do an entry on teeth.

First I have to ask, when did people stop brushing? Each time I make it out of my home I will bump into at least one person either,

A. Missing Teeth
B. With rotten teeth
C. With gold/silver/etc on their teeth.

I just don't understand it. I realize cavities are going to happen. But didn't you notice some problems prior to your entire front row of teeth being rotten? I'm pretty sure you didn't just wake up one day and Ka-BOOM! Teeth that look like total ass.

What's worse are the parents with children who have rotten teeth. I've seen this too. A parent should be ashamed if their toddler has two front teeth that are totally brown and rotted. I realize from Arwen that antibiotics in early infancy can discolor new baby teeth but there is a huge difference in a discoloration and rot.

Most of the problems stem from idiotic parents in my area. When I used to wait tables I would see Moms and Dads come in all the time, toddler in tow. When I'd ask if I could get some milk for the baby they'd often request coke because it was free (for refill) versus the milk. I wanted to strangle those parents and if I had the extra cash on me I'd sometimes buy the milk myself.
Then there are parents that allow their children to suck on candy all day long, that'll do it right there.

True story, I was in Hell-Mart once and their was a very overweight child with his Mother (who was also a bit heavy). Now, anyone who's been to their own little nook of hell knows they try to trap you with products all along the cashier register. This young man knew what he was doing. I watched as he grabbed Snickers bars, Twix, Skittles, Nerds and assorted candies from the boxes. His Mom turned around.

"What you doing?" she asked him. She was still placing her groceries on the belt.

"You said I could get something if I was good this week and I was good."

"I said that but I thought you'd get a toy."

"I want this for my surprise."

She stopped for a second and sighed. I was waiting, expecting her to tell him to pick one thing and to put the rest back.

"A'ight...grab me a Zero bar."

My mouth nearly dropped to the floor. The boy kept going and threw a small sugar treasure on the belt. I can only imagine the calories and sugar but not to be outdone, he also snagged Mountain Dew from the freezer in front of us.

The there are the true class in my area. The drug abusers and drunks. It's become a small crisis. When I shot pool on an APA league I would get accosted nightly by drunken players with one rotten tooth sticking from red, diseased looking gums. They'd smile and lean forward, hand reaching to shake. It made my skin crawl at times. There is nothing so attractive as man with a cig hanging from his lip, drink in his hand and when he smiles two teeth are all you see.

Nasty.

So I'd like to ask everyone to spread the message. Tell the world it's time to start brushing their teeth already. If not the next time I blog about this I'll include a picture of meth mouth. Yikes!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I totally agree. I don't brag about much, but I do brag about the fact that my daughter has 1. never had a single sip of soda...I won't allow it and 2. has her teeth brushed every night before bed. D's friend has a niece that has metal pegs for teeth because of all the reasons you mentioned in your post. And my nephew always has tea or soda in his sippy, drives me nuts. My sister in law actually gets onto me because when I'm around I give him whole milk or watered down juice and healthy snacks like Kix...at the rehearsal and wedding this weekend I did just that, and she called me out on it and told me to stop. I flat out told her she needs to start buying him whole milk not 2% just because that's what SHE likes to drink and giving him healthy snacks instead of M&M's and chips. She tried to tell me not to feed him the Kix, and I told her flat out "S, they are HEALTHY for him, he hasn't had breakfast, let him eat the Kix..." and surprisingly she just went about her way and let him eat. People are so ignorant sometimes...

Jaime said...

Wow! That's pretty bad but reminds me a bit of familiy members I know (but will refrain from mentioning).

I have to confess, I'm not as good as you lol. Logan got a taste of coke ONE time and he's hooked. He loves it more than any candy or ice cream. So as a treat (in total moderation!) we allow him some from time to time. It's not even daily or every other day but he does get his hands on it.

I guess for me, if you have children, you have to make choices. We keep snacks in our home AND we keep fruits and veggies. If you want a sweet, you have to have a fruit or veg the next time. This seems to work.

I'm not a strict Mom but I do make my children eat decently and brush their teeth! ;)