CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

H E double hockey sticks!

Yesterday was without a doubt, a huge pain in my ass. It started with Logan deciding he needed to use the potty right as it was time to go outside for the bus. I should have known to throw in the towel right then.

I had several things to get done; A meeting with Vincent's teacher in the morning followed by a trip to Arwens school to read to her class and have a parent/teacher conference. I was running ragged, trying to finish up chores so I could finally get into the shower. I had Annabel on the middle floor asleep and Vincent in the bathroom with me. I get ready in under an hour and wait for Vincents teacher to arrive.

And I wait...
And I wait some more...
And I look at the clock...

I have to leave the house in 10 minutes and the teacher isn't here. My Mom arrives to babysit and I call the school. I'm then informed the teacher decided "to just come tomorrow and watch him with the speech therapist".

So I try not to lose my temper and get off the phone, kiss my little ones and head out the door. 30 minutes later I'm at the school, I go inside, get settled and am told I have to "quickly read the story, we don't have long" so I choose the shorter of the two books I brought along.

After reading (The Day the Babies Crawled Away, an awesome book) I got to sit and stare at the class as I had to wait for my meeting. I'm glad I got this opportunity. I can see now why Arwen dislikes her teacher and her class so much.

This woman runs a tight ship. Let me start by saying, I don't necessarily believe that is "bad". However, the things these children are expected to do is really quite alot for kindergartners. She expects nothing short of perfection from 5 year olds and we all know how I feel about perfection. I watched as child after child endured ridicule over unclear writing, unfinished work or talking in the classroom. Finally it was time for our meeting. The children were ushered out and down we sit.

It went decently. She was nice enough and said that my daughter is a sweet child. She said that Arwen is smart and bright but talks alot and always will. "Don't be surprised, she'll always have remarks about talking, it's just who she is." I was told.

There were remarks here and there that made me seriously repress an urge to reach over and slap the fire out of her though. Like this one for instance.

"Everyone knows who Arwen is, she's a topic at our dinner table pretty often."

Doesn't she realize this is a violation of privacy? Not to mention extremely unprofessional? Or does she not care? Not to be outdone I plastered a huge smile to my face and replied happily (and snarky).

"Oh I know how that is! It must be like when we talk about you at our table."

Boo-yah, eat that hard ass.

I took my daughter home with me and rewarded her with a decaf Pumpkin spice latte from starbucks which she sipped on and I finished off for her. I hugged her tight and was relieved to think that all we have to do is survive this year and Arwen will have a new class and new teacher.

I don't believe my daughter is the best child in the world. As her Mother I am well aware of how difficult she can be. But she is a child and children talk and play and laugh and have difficulty paying attention. They have to learn control and how to adapt to a learning environment. This isn't boot camp or college, this is kindergarten!

What do you think?

Oh and Happy Halloween!!!!

0 comments: