CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The House on Clinton Avenue

I'll be sharing some stories I've been told through the years by family about the ghosts and houses in our area. I hope you enjoy them!


The House on Clinton Avenue (as told to me by my Mom)
.
When I was 15, we moved into a house. Our family was large, 9 of us in all and even with 4 bedrooms each of us still ended up sharing a room and sometimes a bed.
.
The first time I saw the house, I thought it was beautiful. An old Victorian, painted blue with white windows. It was 3 stories high if you included the attic. When we pulled into the short driveway to the left of the house, my Dad was sitting on the porch steps. Back then Dad kept his hair in the slicked, clean and combed back look. But that day one hair made its way down to curl on his forehead. He had a strange look on his face and I'll never forget his words to our Mother as we all piled out of the car.
.
"There is something wrong with this house Helen."
.
Many strange things happened in that house. Anytime we tried to go up to the attic we'd get tripped up on things. The cat refused to come inside and noises came from nowhere. One room in the house, the living room, always stayed very cold, even with the fireplace lit.
.
A story that sticks out in my mind among several is the day your Aunt Suzanne beat us all of us home from school and decided to call a friend while she waited. She grabbed the phone in the kitchen (as we disliked that cold and creepy living room) and sat at the table.
.
As she spoke to her friend she kept hearing the phone line being picked up. At first she didn't say anything, hoping her friend would tell whoever it was interrupting them to stop. After a few minutes of it Suzanne became annoyed and said something.
.
"Tell Jon to cut it out would ya? We'll be off the phone in a minute!" (Jon was her friends only sibling)
.
Her friend sounded confused and said in return, "what do you mean Suzanne? What is Jon doing?"
.
"He keeps picking up the other phone, don't you hear it?"
.
"That's impossible, we only have one phone in our house, Jon couldn't be doing it."
.
My sister hung up the phone and rushed outside. She never stayed alone inside that house again.We moved shortly after.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's creepy... but sort of comforting. My thermostat light will click on for no reason every now and again, espceially when I am alone at night. I always think it's my dad letting me know he's with me.

Erin said...

AAH! That's creepy! So did you all move because of all the weird stuff that happened or some other reason?

Jaime said...

Mom said they moved because of all the weird stuff that happened there.

I'll post a couple of other weird things that happened but they lived there less than 6 months. I'm going to try and go get a picture this weekend. My digital camera broke so I'll have to take it with the normal camera and scan it.

Anonymous said...

please note: the picture of the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall - thats the picture of the "ghost on the staircase" on your blog was made by my grandfather in 1933. He was the schoolteacher in the village of South Raynham and Raynham Hall, in Norfolk U.K. is the family home of the Townsend family. So you see it is not a ghost picture at all simply an aberration on an old fashioned glass slide caused by bad emulsion on the plate and the fact that the tripod was kicked while the camera shutter was open. Of course such things are much easier to do nowadays with digital photography. In 1933 to obtain such results intentionally was quite difficult, but relatively easily to do by accident.
Love Jayne.

Jaime said...

Hi Jayne! ;)

Wow that is amazing. I'll change my entry to include this information. I googled for a picture to accompany the blog. But that is very interesting and one of my favorite photos!