CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 19, 2007

The Great Debate


I was checking out blogs today and as is the norm, I went over to read TheRagingServer. It seems that as of October 1st his business was made a non-smoking facility due to a change in the law.
.
I don't live where he is and I considered posting a response on his blog but the Truth is as I see both sides of the issue I feel it's best to write on my soapbox in my own venue. I don't want to step on any toes nor take over any blogs (as I do respect Ribeye and his blog).
.
Now on to the issue at hand.
.
I picked up my first cig after high school but didn't become a "smoker" until college. I was in theatre and started hanging out with the smokers outside during rehearsals. I was offered a smoke and declined but finally started smoking for reasons I'm still unsure of. Soon I was smoking a pack a day, this continued for several years, stopping only when I became pregnant with my first child.
.
At the time I smoked, I was very anti non-smokers. I felt that if they didn't want to be around smoke, they could just stay home. Why should I have to put out my cig, just because they don't smoke or like me doing it. I was very opinionated on the entire issue. Yet after I quit myself, I began to notice just how disgusting smoking has the potential to be.
.
First there is the smell with engulfs your clothing, hair, shoes, and purse. The only way to remove the smell is a strong shower or wash. Then there is the yellowing from the tar, ranging from your fingers to the ceiling in your home and most notably, your teeth. There is also the hacking cough that some people experience. I had all of these things when I smoked, so this is from personal experience. I'm not talking about any other person but myself.
.
I became aware of how much I disliked smoking after I started shooting APA pool. As soon as we'd return home my Mom would stop me at the door and say, "you really need to change and take a shower before you feed the baby". So I would go shower and change and place my clothes into the washer, this became routine. I learned quickly that if I left my clothing out and it didn't get washed immediately, the area surrounding it would also begin to smell of smoke. I would also use the same purse and wallet and jacket which were placed outside into the garage to air out until next time.
.
During the time I shot pool I also became agitated by some of the smoker's themselves. My coach at the time was one of the worst. He would light up and leave his cig burning in the ashtray. For some reason the smoke always came in my direction. My nose would begin to run and my eyes would burn and water. On other occasions people would take a puff while in conversation with me only to exhale the smoke into my face. The ladder is the reason I finally decided enough was enough and I gave up a true joy in my life. I've not been back into a bar since.
.
I actually wish our area would go smoke free in bars. We already are in restaurants. It really sucks to miss out on something I love but I couldn't handle the smoke anymore. I know smokers believe going smoke-free takes away their rights, but honestly, isn't it also taking away our rights to breathe clean air by allowing smoking? Yes I realize that it's your freedom to smoke but it's also my freedom to refrain from breathing smoke filled air.
.
Ironically, making a facility non-smoking really just ends up placing the shoe on the other foot. Instead of the non-smoker having to make the choice as to whether or not it's "worth it" to enter an establishment and have to deal with the smoke, now smokers are faced with the question and are being left to do the same. Now the shoe has been placed on the other foot and smokers are angry. I'd imagine as angry as I was when I had to forgo shooting pool any longer.
.
I will say this however. I would have been more than happy to maintain my pool life if there had been a bar that offered a smoke free night or area for APA members to shoot. I know that several bowling alley's do this and I think it's a wonderful idea. It's very unfortunate this situation is so black and white and so set into stone that compromise cannot be made.
.
So that's my 2 cents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not so much anti-nonsmoker as I am anti-freedom. We had smoking and non-smoking sections of restaurants for a reason, and many restaurant employees are smokers. True there are those that don't smoke, but they're really the minority.

Jaime said...

Hey Ribeye!

I just now saw your response and I'm glad I didn't offend.

To be honest, if there had been a non-smoking area for me to shoot pool in, I would have been more than happy. I don't want someone to stop smoking, or it to be banned, just a little nook for myself if possible.

That's why I said I wish there was compromise. Trust me, I've met the hard core smokers and hard core anti-smokers. That's not a fun situation at all.

How is the most obnoxious blogger count so far? I'm going to register and get my vote in tonight.