CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Turning a Blind Eye



I was struggling to keep the sun out of Annabel's eyes when I saw them. The Mother was pushing the stroller while also balancing a large bag on her shoulder. Her hair was pulled into a high pony tail, she wore jeans and a t-shirt. The boy was 10-12 years old. His head was covered in thick dark hair, his dark eyes took in everything around him. It was obvious he was different, his face was overly long, his hands clutched to his chest, his legs bent a peculiar angles.

I walked inside, went to a nearby empty room to nurse Annabel and returned to the lobby to wait for my name to be called. The woman and young boy were seated along the side wall and I took a seat close by. I pulled Annabel out of her car seat and began to rock her back and forth.

"She is so cute!" the woman said. Her smile was warm and genuine. I couldn't help but smile back and thank her. I noticed her son was watching a cartoon on a mini DVD player she has brought along, so I smiled at him and said "he's like my daughter, too impatient in the doctors office."

We struck up a conversation. I remarked at her son (his name is David) taking in the room around him as if he had better places to be, she was very sweet and openly told me her son was born with a very small cerebellum (I'm embarrassed to say I've forgotten the exact medical term she gave me). She explained his therapy, how she now home schools and how is he coming along. She was very excited that he is now able to fully stretch out his legs. I told her that my experience is different but I've dealt with early intervention for my son who is autistic, I explained how he was doing and how much the program has helped us as well.

She asked how many children I have and when I told her she had a huge smile, she was beaming. She had also wanted a large family but after David was born it just didn't happen she said. She admitted she was considering fostering a child as David loved other children. I told her I hoped that worked out for her and I was sure David would be a fantastic brother.


During our conversation, the office began to fill up. I started to notice when people remarked to me "oh she is so sweet!" and motioned toward Annabel. I would politely smile and thank them. And each of these people had one huge thing in common. They all avoided looking at David. Or at least they avoided looking at him when they thought they might be caught looking at him. I would see them glance over quickly and then turn away.

My heart dropped then. I felt badly that my own infant was garnering so much love and admiration and this adorable little boy, the light of his Mother's life, was invisible to them. I felt ashamed.

When my name was called I told the lady how nice it was to talk to her (she never did say her name) and told David to be good for his Mom and it was very nice to meet him too. I grabbed my things and Annabel and made my way to see the doctor.
.
They were not there when I came back out.

0 comments: