CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The day from HELL


Today started out normally but it didn't take long to spiral downhill fast. Logan and Vincent were both home, making mass messes and running me ragged. By the time my father-in-law arrived to watch the boys (they had been placed down to nap by then) I was frazzled and getting baby girl ready.

As I stood at the table, preparing her car seat he asked, "how long do you think you'll be Jaime?" I thought it over and answered honestly.

"I don't know, I'd hope I won't be in the doctor's office any longer than an hour."

His response pissed me off majorly. "Well, we all know how long your hours are Jaime."

...WTF????

Let me say this. Each time he has ever watched my children, it has been because I cannot find a sitter anywhere, I have to attend something that is important, and I come directly home. It's not as if I'm out spending time out with friends socially.

I replied evenly. "I can call my Mom to come here, I didn't realize I take so long when I'm away, but I'll hurry and try to return home ask quickly as possible."

He stood a minute before heading toward the basement. "Don't rush, it's fine." he answers. I count to ten in sync with his feet as they travel down the stairs. It doesn't help, I'm seething.
I call my Mother-in-law and ask, if he mentioned not wanting to watch the boys. She says he didn't say anything to her and asks what's wrong. I tell her and she says, "was it a joke?" I tell her if it was I'm not laughing.

I hang up, quickly feed the baby, get her packed and off I go. I grab my cell and do something I rarely do. I make a call. I ask my Mom to go directly from work in one hour to my home to watch over my children, she agrees. I then call my husband and relay what happened and explained my Mom would be waiting with our children when he arrived, not his father. Jimbo is pissed.

As I get off the phone it starts. Two things I hate more than the worst sh*tty diaper my kids can throw at me.
Rain+Driving=Hells No. I drive slowly, all the while nervous and terrified of the dreaded possibility of hydroplane and it's made all the worse with my infant in the back seat. Other drivers weave and bob, cut off vehicles and speed ahead, totally oblivious to people like myself with a child on board. It's nerve wracking.

At one point a woman in a Honda pulls in front of me, no turn signal, no warning and slams on her breaks to turn. I push on my breaks and yell expletives at the woman and give her the bird. I resist the temptation to turn around and open a can on her.

When I finally arrive to the surgeon all goes well. I go inside for my appointment and since it's in the same building as I delivered baby girl I decide to go see if my L&D nurse is there, she isn't. Sadly I make my way to the van. By now the rain is coming down pretty well and I begin to search for keys which I quickly discover are not there. Keeping Annabel covered I hurry back but a wonderful nurse saw my error in leaving behind my keys at the nurse's station and has followed me out. See, nurse's truly are angels and I tell her so.

I go and pick Arwen up from school before heading over to Hell-Mart for milk, coffee and creamer. This does not bode well. Arwen refuses to listen to me. She spots the pumpkins and wants one. I promise if she will be patient we will all go pick out our pumpkins this weekend. She doesn't listen and grabs a large pumpkin from the stand and drops it. Thankfully it doesn't crack and I can put it back. Annabel then begins crying.

I pick Annabel up from her car seat, try to hold her and push the cart at the same time and all the while try to keep an eye on my energetic 5 year old. It takes all my patience not to lose it as Arwen runs here and there shouting "I want this Mommmmmyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!". Thank god she doesn't manage to knock over anymore pumpkins.

When I make my selections and go to leave. I place Annabel back into her car seat. As I'm ringing up my things (whoever invented the self check-out is a wonderful, wonderful person, I thank you) a woman makes her way toward us. I know what she's up to the minute I spot her. Her eyes are totally fixed upon my infant.

"What a cute baby!" she walks forward, intent on touching my child. She reaches out her hand and my mind races. I don't know where those hands of hers have been! Not to be outdone my mouth reacts before my mind can, leave it to rubberlips.

"Please, don't touch her. It's cold and flu season and she is barely 3 months old." It doesn't come out harsh but kind of like a yelp. She looks shocked that I have the nerve to reprimand her and stalks off. I faintly hear her calling me a female dog as she huffs away. I shrug, better be called that than to have another sick child, especially a sick baby.

By the time I get to the van again, I cannot wait to get home. I quickly get the children into the van, unpack my few items and climb into the drivers seat. I'm exhausted. My brain wants to shut down, I want to sit in a quiet room.

When I got home I sat with the kiddos while they ate dinner prepared by my wonderful husband. I tell them what the surgeon said, kiss them all, and take the baby girl up to nap with me. I sleep for 3 solid hours and wake still frustrated but alot calmer.

Today was a day from hell but I remind myself it could have been worse and to keep perspective. I could be someone that has a home in the huge fire racing across California, or I could be a parent dealing with a terminally ill child, or my surgery could be because of a much more serious illness.

So I'm trying to be thankful and find forgiveness for my father-in-law. He says it was a joke. He needs to work on his delivery me thinks.
.
**Edit** upon writing this I went upstairs and found a package awaiting me from my good friend LeeLee. She sent me several goodies, including some nail polishes direct from Canada. I knew I was a blessed person and I'm so very lucky to have a friend like her in my life. **SMOOCHES LEELEE!!!!!**

2 comments:

Rae said...

what is up with strangers feeling entitled to touch your children? i only touch a child in public if they are actually going to run or bump into me... and you really don't want to think about how many people DON'T wash their hands (something like 70% do, and only about 1/3 of those actually do it properly!)

Anonymous said...

***smooches back***

What a horrible day. I was tired after just reading your post. LOL Good for you for keepingit all in perspective! **HUGS**