CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Gone Baby Gone Aftermath

Talk about a movie you just can't shake. There was so much I wanted to say about this movie but don't want to ruin it for those who haven't experienced it just yet. So I won't speak of the movie, only of the aspect that forms the basis of the story.

A girl goes missing. Who has her? Is she safe? Is she even alive? Is she being molested? You just don't know and probably never will. This is the reason I fear each and everyday for my own children. I worry about them so very much and my heart skips a beat each morning as I kiss them and tell them I will see them after school.

The truth is, none of our children are safe. There are people in this world that feel no remorse, only a perverse need they must release and a child is their vessel. The things that some children experience in their final moments of life at the hands of a pedophile...there just are no words to describe how upset this makes me, how wrong this is. I remember being 6 years old and hearing about Adam Walsh. That was my introduction to the vile people that inhabit this world and I've never forgotten, never. I vividly recall hearing about his headless body being found. I listened to my Mother fight back tears as she clutched me tightly to her chest and I can still feel her arms around me, even now.

And because of this, I live each day in fear. I hawk eye my children. I don't allow them to sleepover at friends houses nor do I allow them to stay at home without a family member babysitter (aka my Mom, Sister or Mother in Law). I refuse to take that risk, I couldn't enjoy my time out anyway if I worried about my children.

We need more stern laws in place for child abuse, all forms of it. Children are the most precious commodity we have, we should make every effort to protect it.

I'm sorry for the weird and emotional post. This movie just really touched me and even hours later I cannot shake from my mind. For some reason I keep thinking that losing a child is bad enough but losing a child to a violent crime...the guilt, the anger, the desperation...I can't even imagine.

0 comments: