CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Blood work and Mothers Milk



Things went well I suppose. Annabel was a complete angel, making me so proud. I went in and hit the dreaded scale first and...WOOTGA!!! I'm 7lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. I knew I'd lost more weight but not that much! I've lost 15 pounds in a month, Not bad if I say so myself.
.
Then I had a finger stick (yikes), EKG, blood draw and physical work up. Things were great. Doc came in, talked to me, the normal drill. Then suddenly things took a turn.
.
"How long do you plan on nursing her?" he nodded toward Annabel, sitting in her car seat, just looking around, giving us that gorgeous baby grin.
.
"A year". I said, smiling at her. She returned the smile with one of her own and a lovely coo, I started to melt.
.
"How old is she now?" He moved closer to me, making me a bit uncomfie. He had a serious look on his face.
.
"8 weeks". I kept my eyes on her, trying to ignore how uncomfortable his staring was making me.
.
I realized why he had moved so close and was staring at me. It was time for the "Doctor" talk. He began to tell me how nursing is only beneficial for the first 3 months and that anything after is unnecessary. He pushed really hard for me to stop nursing, because he said I'm under alot of stress and he wants to give me some medication for it. (he gave me Zanax before and I hated it). Then he gave me the "spill". "If you formula feed, your husband can help with feedings", "formula is just as good for her", "you need to do what is best for YOU".
.
I told him about Annabel's excema and how essential it is to nurse to lessen the severity of it. He countered that with it's more important to be on top of my health as if I'm ill I cannot be a "good" Mother to them, not because I don't want to be, but because my body wouldn't allow me to.
.
In the end, I was firm but polite and told him I wasn't budging. I AM nursing my daughter for a year, baring any huge complications in my health. He pushed for a bit longer but finally relented and accepted I was going to nurse my daughter. His only condition was that I contact him immediately if I got worse and/or if I changed my mind about formula.
.
I'll admit I was furious. I've got some experience in "anti-breastfeeding" comments and lectures. When I had my first child and chose to nurse, I was told I was a pervert. I had people constantly asking "when are you going to stop?" and the best yet "they really like that titty milk huh?". Nice.
.
But I digress.
.
The EKG came back fine (thank god!) the blood work will come back today. I asked about some other issues but he said to take it one step at a time, wanting to focus on my blood work first. So now the wait begins, cross your fingers for me. I just want my life back and I'm hoping this will set me on that path.

0 comments: