CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Paying it Forward




When Logan was initially screened by early intervention, I was scheduled 1 time to per week to have someone come to our home to work on his speech. His speech therapist is named Lisa and we parted ways last year with a sweet card and a good luck.
.
Then when Vincent started to display similar delays (in regard to speech) I again contacted early intervention and the same therapy was offered to him. I was happily surprised to find out Lisa would be Vincent's care taker as well.
.
During that time, I was struggling with sickness from my hyperthyroidism, gestational diabetes and gallstones. I was a wreck and Lisa would show up to my home and I know I looked it. The children would be acting crazy and the house was pretty much in chaos. So one day she told me she wanted to talk to me. She sat the children down and focused their attention on ice cream. Afterward she offered me a shoulder to cry on and told me it was going to be ok. She really made a huge difference in how I felt about myself in a difficult time in my life. I've never forgotten it.
.
Today she came over and we walked downstairs. She was working with Vincent when I made a comment about her nail polish. She told me she had it done last week and needed it redone. So I came into my office and dug through my extensive stash. I pulled out a few here and there for her and told her if she liked them she could have them.
.
I was surprised when she smiled and told me, "Jaime, I've had a really bad day today and was in a bad mood. I'm so glad I came over." I smiled back and felt happiness wash over me that I could help her day be a bit better. Even if only a little.
.
She then explained some of the things happening in her sons life. He too is special needs and she faces some difficult issues with his school tomorrow. I could tell she was still upset so I pulled out my nail polish inventory and told her to pick out whatever she wanted. At first she hesitated "do you wear this one alot?" and I would tell her "sweetie, pick whatever you like."
.
When she was set to go after Vincent's appointment and our talk I walked her to the door and gave her a huge hug. I told her to call me if she ever needed me. She walked out the door, toward her car, with several bottles of polish in hand.
.
I don't get the opportunity to make anyone's day better often and I have to say it felt really good. I hope the rest of her day is a happy one.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a sweetheart. I think people forget that it's the little things that can really make someones day. You haven't forgoteen that. I'm so glad you're my friend! **hugs**

Anne said...

That's just cool...and so true. If more people took the time to do seemingly 'little things' imagine what a nicer world this would be.