CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 23, 2007

Your results came back abnormal.


Within two weeks of finding out I was pregnant, I felt something wasn't "right". I can't explain exactly how I felt or what warranted that inner voice telling me this but it did. For a month I shook it off, thinking it was nothing. My second OB visit no heartbeat was detected but I was assured this is normal that early on (which I knew being a 3 time Mom). During the wait for the next OB visit I let my husband in on the secret. "Something isn't right, something feels wrong" I told him. He was worried too and went with me the 3rd visit...and we heard a heartbeat, going strong at 153. "That is such a wonderful sound" I said and I watched Jim stop holding his breath. But still, even as this happened, that nagging voice told me "something still isnt' right". So when my OB came in and I told him this, he asked about the Triple test and my interest in getting one. (I'd refrained on getting these in the past except for one time and during that time it was more or less the first child and fear of spina bifida since it runs in the family, no "bad" feelings occurred then). I agreed to take the test and went off and donated the blood necessary.

Almost a week later, I get a call from my OB. He tells me "we got the results from your lab and they came back abnormal." I tried not to cry as I've braced myself with the knowledge for months now that something was wrong but I couldn't hold it back. He told me there is a chance of a false positive and wanted me to see someone to have a Ultrasound II and possibly a amnio if the ultrasound shows problems. So the entire day I waited and got the call the next day for my appointment in Birmingham next month.

This is without a doubt one of the hardest things I've ever faced in my life. Decisions have to be made and I have to step out of my own personal box and look at things from the perspective of my children. I have to take all things into account and what to do.

The amnio will not tell you exactly how "bad" Downs Syndrome will be or what other problems may be. It will only tell you for certain if the baby has Downs Syndrome (or what chromosome disorder we are dealing with). So the major choices still come down to you.

I ask for any prayers you can offer. I'll try to post between now and then...but it all depends on the circumstances. Mothers intuition is an amazing thing.

0 comments: