CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 26, 2007

No Means NO!


For the most part, I always check my caller ID when the phone rings. This helps me weed out telemarketers and such. But on some days, I'm too busy and my hands are literally too full to take a look before I hit the talk button. Today was one of those days.

As soon as I answered my belly tightened. I heard the same spill.

"Hello! I'm from *insert company here* . How are you today?"

"I'm fine."

"That's wonderful. I'm calling today because our company is offering this *insert special here* and we'd like to extend an invitation for you to *insert invitation here* . The price is *insert price* . I just need your address to go ahead and sign you up."

"No thank you," I say.

"Oh but ma'am! This is a *insert one time offer here* ! Let me get your information so I can get this out to you today!"

"No," I start to say but am interrupted.

"I'd really love to,"

"No, I'm not interested!" I say over the person. I usually don't shout but it's close and I quickly hit the end button to cut off the connection.

Now first things first. When did people that want to sell YOU something begin making the decision to spend your money for you? When did people stop asking? Back when I did tele-marketing, I actually asked and I also took no for an answer (subsequently, I quit shortly after and they were glad to see me go).
.
If you want me to consider making a purchase from you, ask me. Telling me what I will do only pisses me off. I have children bossing me about all day, I don't need you adding to it.

When I say no, I mean no. Nothing you say is going to change my mind. I realize that you can break the resolve of those kind hearted people out there. I know this because I used to be one of them. Thankfully, after I married my husband he trained me on how to stop being a pushover. And let me tell you, if he answers the phone and not myself, brace yourself.
.
I realize this is your employment. This is how the bills get paid. But you have to realize that you are calling into peoples home, interrupting their busy lives. Don't go complaining to family about how rude and hateful people are you call up. Keep in mind, you often disturb dinner, family time or homework. You break up intimate moments between lovers/spouses/partners.
.
If I'm getting my groove on (which is a rare treat for me) and you interrupt that, there is going to be hell to pay. And worse yet, if you call while I am getting my groove on, while all of my children are away, I'm liable to lay the phone down and modesty be damned. Consider yourself warned.
.
If I had any suggestions for those tele-marketing now, I'd offer this advice:

Begin the search for a better and more gainful employment opportunity first and foremost.

Make your offer one time and don't interrupt when the person responds.

If someone is polite and says, "no thank you", accept that answer and move on. If you continue to push me, then don't have the audacity to act offended when I tell you to shove it up your pie hole.

If you are asked nicely to remove a person from your calling list, do it. There is nothing worse than repeat calls from the same place. I'm not positive but I imagine the people that hang up on you immediately, yell at you or curse you out are victims of constant phone calls made with that particular offer.
.
Treat people the way you want to be treated. Imagine you are the person that is cooking dinner and the phone rings.

And for the love of god. Do NOT call my cell phone. I don't like using it and keep it only in cases of emergency as far as my children are concerned. If you call my cell phone I will curse you out and hang up on you. I'm not wasting my minutes so you can tell me you have an offer I'm going to buy.

0 comments: